Political Pundits

by: frankb

In this political season mass media is relying on someone with an expert opinion to give insights.  But with so many of these experts being tapped are they all reliable.  It is quite obvious that they have political leanings and would benefit from spinning their insights, if not giving outright propaganda.   These are political pundits, which is a person whom offers their opinion on a particular subject.  If the insights spouted by these pundits are solely opinion, how are they selected by a media outlet.  The use of pundits was actually popularized by the fact their opinions lean.  Pundits were popularized by the right leaning Bill O'Reilly on Fox News.

Punditry has become a more popular vehicle in nightly newscasts on American cable news networks. A rise of partisanship among popular pundits began with Bill O'Reilly of Fox News Channel. His opinion-oriented format led him to ratings success and has led others, including Lou Dobbs, Keith Olbermann, and Nancy Grace, to express their opinions on matters on their own respective programs

Pundit (expert) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Political pundits are often used because they attract viewers.  They simplify matters, and reduce the multi-faceted issues to their opinions.  And pundits are easy to side with, especially if a viewer agrees with them on more than one issue.  

These are the people who make voters sit up and take notice. They are the ones who political candidates and campaigns are constantly seeking to woo and influence. They include television presenters, newspaper columnists, bloggers and talking heads.

The 50 most influential US political pundits - Telegraph

Pundits can say what a news host can't, and that is why they are often chosen by biased television shows such as The O'Reilly Factor.  Pundits don't need to be unbiased, because they were popularized for being biased.  

Many important journalists have been left out because they portray themselves as objective and seek to inform rather than persuade.

Pundits today run rampant, and while simplifying views, they endanger intellectual debates about issues.  To fully understand an issue, the public must understand an issue entirely.  Pundits reduce the amount of information that the average viewer receives, and are a technique of  news companies to sway their viewers.  The goal of media should be to educate the public to form their views, not to tell them what views are out there.