Politics in Olympics

by: Rosie
Career goals

As I was watching the Olympics with my family I was surprised when my mom said we don't want the Russians or the Chinese to win. Obviously I would rather see a U.S. athlete win, but why are we more uncomfortable with countries who aren't our allies winning medals? Maybe their politics and the Olympics are unseparable because the athletes are representing their nations. That alone promotes more nationality, and like in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, could be a tool to promote one nation's policies. 

Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels recognized the benefits: celebrating the Aryan ideal and shaping the Nazi image — for Germans and for the world."One must govern well, and good government needs good propaganda," Goebbels declared in a 1933 speech."This was still a relatively young regime," Bachrach says. "And even though it was a dictatorship, it was very important to build popular support, especially among young people who had been so important to the growth of the Nazi movement. Nazi Olympics Tangled Politics and Sports

This is one of the most extreme examples, but Can politics stay out of the Olympics? Are the Olympics more a show of political power than friendly competition between talented athletes? Or maybe does that make it more interesting? Maybe that makes athletes like Jesse Owen even more memorable. Although at the same time the original intent of the modern olympic games was to promote friendly competition and peace. With the propaganda and the nationality has that original idea been lost? I don't think so. The competition is healthy, it's a reason to bring the world together to celebrate diverse talent. No matter what, it's about the talent and hard work of athletes and coaches. It's an opportunity to compete in events that don't symbolize the power of a government.