The Poor Dog and the Ring

by: 16islamr

I created the Scratch animation “The Poor Dog and The Ring “as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that shows what the consequences are of both doing the right thing and doing the wrong thing. It can also inspire people to make a lot of ethical decisions in life. It demonstrates the different benefits of doing the right thing and can include role models for people to follow.

My story is about a poor dog living on the streets with no home, shoes, or good clothing. One day, as he’s begging for money, like he does everyday, he sees a lady drop something on the ground. He calls for her to tell her that she dropped something, but she doesn’t respond. It turns out that she dropped a beautiful diamond ring that must have been worth a fortune. The dog must decide if he should sell the ring so he could receive that fortune, or if he should return the ring back to the woman. The ethical decision would be returning the ring back to the woman so the dog could receive a big cash reward that he hadn’t known about before. If he didn’t, then he would get robbed of the money that he received from selling the ring, and be left worse than the way he started.

My story was inspired by the folk tale called “The Poor Old Dog”. This story is about a poor dog who begs on the street to get new shoes, a coat, and a home. He ends up finding a diamond ring, and thinking that it was magical, he rubs it to make his wishes of shoes, clothes, and a home come true. Nothing happens so he keeps the ring, and a few months later he reads a sign seeking the return of a lost gold ring. He returns the ring and is of course rewarded with enough money for a coat, shoes, and home.

I think I was successful in creating my story because it is interactive and its ethical. In my story, the player has the ability to make a decision that would change the ending of the story. There are to completely different choices included that the player can choose, sell, or return, which would later determine the ending of the story. I included credit for the dog that I got from the Internet, and I credited the story that I modified in the project notes. My story is definitely appropriate for children up to 13 years old as well. The only part that I was unsuccessful at was getting the length to 3 minutes long. My story was only about 1 ½ minutes long only because there wasn’t really much to put into such a long time length like 3 minutes.

Kayla

16langk's picture
Submitted by 16langk on Wed, 2012-01-04 22:48.

I really liked the graphics in your ethical story.
I noticed that your ethical story isn't at least 3 minutes long.
The ethical dilemma in your story whether to sell the ring and get money to buy clothes, shoes, and a house or to return the ring to the woman who lost it. The unethical decision is tempting because it provides you with enough money to buy what you need. The mechanism for choosing the different decisions are clear and easy to understand.

I really liked your story

16shenw's picture
Submitted by 16shenw on Thu, 2012-01-05 16:39.

I really liked your story animation. The project really shows that you had really worked hard on making the project work and it shows that you had spend a lot of time on this project. The story really shows what your ethical decisions were and you had also added what had happened at the end when you had chose your decison. However, to me it would have been better if you had the characters show what had happened in the end instead of telling the player what had happpened. Overall, it was a great animation story and you did a good job in putting the correct timings for each scene.

Review of your ethical story

16jumanm's picture
Submitted by 16jumanm on Thu, 2012-01-05 16:58.

I liked the plot of your story, and the moral and message was really good. Did you come up with it yourself, or modify a fable? If you did it yourself, I think it's really creative.
I noticed that your story was less than three minutes long for both endings. I think you could fix this by making the consequences dialogues or different scenes involving the dog, so the sprites could be acting out what you wrote in text on the last screens.
The ethical dilemma in your story was great. The mechanics were clear and worked well because you gave instructions on the screen on how to do it (with the arrows). I understood the choices very well, but the best part about it was that the bad choice was very tempting! The player will feel sad for the dog and would want to buy it new clothes and food, but they know that the right thing to do is to return it. If the dog wasn't homeless and poor, the player would know what the obvious choice is, but you put an interesting twist on it.

Silvia

Submitted by 16camposs on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:05.

I liked your story especially the way that you made it go in the proper sequence which was really hard for me. I also really liked your little doggie it was cute.
I noticed that you project was less than 3 minutes long but I still like the story. I think that maybe you should add more dialogue and change scenes more to make it longer.The ethical dilemma in your story was very clear. I could tell that the dog really needed money and it showed it was a tough decision for the dog to make. The dog could have probably sold the ring to become richer because he needed money or give it back, so it was a tough decision.