Position Paper for Brunei Darussalam (Climate Change)

by: bmong

The leading cause of global increase in temperature is industrialization: the burning of fossil fuels, coal, gasoline and deforestation. The change in temperature is because of the greenhouse gases that is released into the atmosphere and destroys the Ozone layer.

Climate change is putting the planet in peril. For the past two decades climate change has become a recurring topic, throughout Asia and other parts of the world. In Brunei Darussalam climate change has a heavy impact. Studies have shown that due to climate change, natural occurrences have intensified, such as heavy rains and flooding. If this is left unattended lives and economics will be affected.

As of 2009, Brunei Darussalam has experienced heavy rains and flooding. The heavy rains and flooding have caused businesses shut down and disrupt daily lives. The weather is so severe that meteorologists in Brunei Darussalam are in deliberating for a possible drought.

Brunei Darussalam believes that conservation of the rainforests and using of clean-energy systems can mitigate the harmful greenhouse gases emissions the affect the atmosphere. The government of Brunei Darussalam has taken precautionary measures in helping to conserve the rainforests. More than 70% land area of Brunei Darussalam is covered in rainforest. Brunei Darussalam held World Forestry Day in March of 2009. This is held annually to bring awareness for the importance of protecting the environment. The Minister of Industry and Primary Resources, Mr. Dato Paduka Haji Bakar, stated, “Numerous agencies and organizations in Brunei Darussalam have undertaken green projects such as reforestation, energy conservation, energy efficiency promotion and public awareness programmes. The national forestry policy of Brunei Darussalam recognized the basic need to harmonize the relationship of the environment and the human population".

Brunei Darussalam taking initiative to commitment of preserving rainforest and combating climate change is the Heart of Borneo (HoB) initiative. This initiative is comprised of Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia and Indonesia. This Initiative commits the three nations to harmonize the implantation of national efforts to conserve and manage the forest that is shared by Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia and Indonesia. The HoB declaration was signed and implemented in February 2007 in Bali between the three nations. Brunei Darussalam is active member of the convention of Biological Diversity (CBD); members commit to reduce the loss of biodiversity by 2010.

Brunei Darussalam has not signed the Kyoto Protocol. But in the United Nations Climate Change Conference (UNFCC) meeting of Copenhagen in December 2009, a successor is yet to be announced.

In March 2009, Brunei Darussalam participated in the Earth Hour 2009 campaign of saving energy. This was an event in which over 1,000 cities participated worldwide.

A way to awareness to the climate change is to address nations that have yet to participate in fighting global warming. During our planning for the Copenhagen conference of 2009, these are the items that need to be discussed before further planning. First, each region needs to identify the causes of climate change in their countries. Upon discovering the causes, each nation should find an appropriate way to mitigating them.