Practice makes .... more practice!

by: jforbes

This evening, I am practicing with some research tools that I will be using with my OHigh students over the next few weeks. Since we'll be reading a book that looks at the ways different cultures try to understand each other -- and often MISunderstand each other -- my students will begin their research by playing with the idea of cultural practices, and seeing what their research turns up!

I started with the search term "cultural practices," and immediately saw a list of suggestions from google. "Cultural practices during pregnancy" caught my eye. I chose this as my search term, and scrolled down the list of sites that my search generated.

The article that I chose focuses on women in Turkey, and their practices during pregnancy ... some of which are harming babies! I am intrigued. My next search term is going to be something like, "harmful cultural practices pregnancy Turkey." A mouthful indeed.

I also tried out easybib.com to see if I could create an MLA citation for the first website that I found. It worked! I created a very professional citation, and I'm excited to use this resource for other sites. Check it out:

Ayaz, S. "Potentially Harmful Traditional Practices during Pregnancy and Postpartum." Pubmed.gov. U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, Sept.-Oct. 2008. Web. 26 Jan. 2015.

It's fun to feel like a student again.

Indeed it can be very

Submitted by daikens on Mon, 2016-02-22 19:42.

Indeed it can be very enjoyable to be a student, yet also very stressful and challenging. I think that this is a really great assignment that we are working on. It will enable us to gain great research skills and refine the ones we already have. Thanks for being a great teacher!