Presidential Healthcare Essay

by: 18kimj

The Democrats and Republican views on health care are very different. Democrats severely disagree with the Republican agenda regarding health care and Medicare. Republicans are fighting tooth and nail against the Affordable Care Act, in hopes of having it repealed, while Democrats still stand behind it, adamant that all Americans are entitled to health care. The largest discrepancy in beliefs is in the cost of the act. While Republicans believe that the Affordable Care Act will economically damage the country, Democrats believe that making healthcare available and more affordable to Americans will help heal the economy. The Republicans state that the cost of the Affordable Care Act to businesses is too great, and will cause them to cut hours or lay off employees in order to account for the greater costs. Democrats, however, believe that the cost to businesses is far more reasonable than the high cost to individual Americans would be without the act in place.

It is believed by many people that Bernie Sander has the best health care plan. He believes that every man, child, and woman in our country should be able to access the healthcare they need regardless of their income. He believes that the only long term solution to America’s healthcare crisis is a single payer national health care program. Under Bernie’s plan, Americans will benefit from the freedom and security that comes with finally separating health insurance from employment. That freedom will help the American people live happier, healthier and more fulfilling lives. Working Americans wouldn’t have to choose between bargaining for higher wages or better health insurance. Parents wouldn’t have to worry about how to provide health insurance to their children. Americans would no longer have to fear losing their health insurance if they lose their job, change employment or go part-time. Millions of people will no longer have to choose between health care and other necessities like food, heat and shelter, and will have access to services that may have been out of reach, like dental care or long-term care.

Bernie Sanders support Obamacare, but has a different approach to healthcare. As a socialist, Sanders supports a version of health care reform that’s considerably more liberal than the Affordable Care Act, the single-payer health care. Single-payer is a system where the government pays for everybody’s health care coverage, and private insurance either disappears completely or becomes merely an additional option. Unlike Bernie Sanders health care system, Obamacare, also known as the Affordable Care Act, is a system that was implemented to provide more Americans with health care and insurance in America. Obamacare requires that all Americans have health insurance through a private provider, allows young adults to stay on their parent’s plan until the age of 26, and ends lifetime limits on health insurance coverage.

Health care has a huge impact in America. Access to healthcare has become one of the defining issues of our time. While in many countries the fundamental challenge is how to provide basic healthcare services and deliver essential vaccinations, in the United States healthcare has become a political football where Congressional leaders fight about who should get health insurance and who should pay for it.

Works Cited
Kennedy, Chuck. "Obamacare Facts." Facts on the Affordable Care Act. HealthNetwork, 4 June 2015. Web. 28 Mar. 2016. http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-facts .
Sanders, Bernie. "Medicare for All." Leaving No One Behind. Bernie, 13 Feb. 2016. Web. 28 Mar. 2016. https://berniesanders.com/issues/medicare-for-all .