Presidential issues

by: seamusa

I looked at what I feel are the two main issues in this years campaign. Iraq and Afghanistan. First I looked at Barack Obama's stance on Iraq and Afghanistan and then I looked at John McCain's stance on both topics

Iraq

Barack Obama and Joe Biden wants to withdraw troops from Iraq as soon as he enters office. His plan calls for all of the troops to be withdrawn within 16 months while still leaving a brigade behind to continue to train Iraqi troops and lead counter terrorism operations.

Under the Obama-Biden plan, a residual force will remain in Iraq and in the region to conduct targeted counter-terrorism missions against al Qaeda in Iraq and to protect American diplomatic and civilian personnel. They will not build permanent bases in Iraq, but will continue efforts to train and support the Iraqi security forces as long as Iraqi leaders move toward political reconciliation and away from sectarianism.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Iraq

On the other hand, John McCain wants to stay in Iraq in order to train the Iraqis until they are completely competent to fight for themselves

The best way to secure long-term peace and security is to establish a stable, prosperous, and democratic state in Iraq that poses no threat to its neighbors and contributes to the defeat of terrorists. When Iraqi forces can safeguard their own country, American troops can return home.

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008

Afghanistan

Barack Obama also wants to increase the U.S. troop deployment by at least two brigades in order to win the war in that country. He also wants to train the Afghan Army.

As President, Barack Obama will refocus our efforts on Afghanistan. He has a comprehensive strategy to succeed in Afghanistan with at least two more U.S. combat brigades, more resources and training for the Afghan Army, and a comprehensive development strategy.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Foreign Policy

As  far as Afghanistan goes, John McCain thinks that the United States needs to increase their military might in order to be prepared to fight Afghanistan, China, Russia, and North Korea

The global war on terrorism, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, threats from rogue states like Iran and North Korea, and the rise of potential strategic competitors like China and Russia mean that America requires a larger and more capable military to protect our country's vital interests and deter challenges to our security. America confronts a range of serious security challenges: Protecting our homeland in an age of global terrorism and Islamist extremism; working with friends and partners overseas, from Africa to Southeast Asia, to help them combat terrorism and violent insurgencies in their own countries; defending against missile and nuclear attack; maintaining the credibility of our defense commitments to our allies; and waging difficult counterinsurgency campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008