Probably Our Favorite Character In Every Story

There has been a type of archetype in literature that I'm sure we are all greatly fond of. It creates humor, emotion and spirit as we read the story, and we become very emotional about that character. The archetype I'm talking about is actually pinpointed to a single (or two) character, and he is usually the one that is always different from the others. You see, literature's element of conflict has the characters mainly being serious and worrying about one certain situation. For example, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet has the couples constantly worrying about themselves, since the family feud prevents them from having affairs.

The archetype comes in once Mercutio is introduced, a rather silly, gay (by "gay", I mean really happy) and funny guy. Under such a harsh condition of the two families, Mercutio seems like the only happy guy around, always being funny and making punch lines. Heck, when he was about to die from the fault of the two families, Mercutio's last breath was a punch line as well!

We don't just see this in Romeo and Juliet. In the Heroes of Olympus series, we see this type of spirit in Leo. In the Harry Potter series, we see this type of spirit in Ron. All three of these characters resemble a common archetype used in literature throughout the years of the evolution of writing and language; it is that one character that seems to be the muse of everyone, which we actually grow fond of the most.

The example I would mainly focus on today is from an old Wii game I used to play; the Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword. The plot of the story starts off with Link and Zelda riding their Loftwings (basically giant birds). Suddenly, Zelda gets blown off her Loftwing by some mysterious tornado and was sucked into the surface, which no one has been there before (Everyone known there were living in the clouds of islands). Link picks up the master sword, which he was guided to, and embarks to the surface. There, he learns that he has more responsibility than just to rescue Zelda, but to prevent the seal from breaking. It turns out that there was a goddess named Hylia that created the Triforce that would give "infinite power" blah blah blah and there was some evil dude named Demise that wanted it. So Hylia risked her immortal soul and sealed Demise into this stone. Hyllia took form of a mortal, which was Zelda.

Link learned that the seal, over hundreds of years, has been weakened, and there is no choice but to destroy Demise all together. So he did it. TADA!!!

Now, I forgot one very important character: Groose. Groose bullied Link back when they were both at the Knight's academy. Link and Zelda were always great friends, but Groose has this HUGE crush on Zelda. He was a lot stronger and bigger than Link, he was always so show-off like, so he thought he deserved to be the one to rescue Zelda.

Once Impa, some really wise women from the surface, turned him down, Groose became devastated. This, however, changed his character. Groose became to explore his own interests on trying to help Link, he wanted to be involved with this, too. He invented the Groosenator, an extremely powerful catapult designed to hurl objects that severely damage structures. He built it to help Link get rid of the Imprisoned, a form of Demise when he broke the seal. Groose was able to use the Groosenator to launch Link into the Carinwood forest when the main gates were flooded, and was responsible for blasting bombs at the Imprisoned whenever he was distracted. Groose played a major role on stopping Demise, he even caught Zelda flying out of the air when she was launched by Ghirahim (he's not very important).

Groose became the muse I was talking about. He cheered on Link whenever he had to face another task, and encouraged him to fight stronger and continue with courage. He compliments Link, and seems to always be there when he has some conflict in his head. He is always so funny at poking fun on how ugly the Imprisoned is, how Impa is so old and how the Groosenator is so awesome. Through all of the monsters and angry people Link encountered, Groose was always the one that seemed like to be the only light in a dark cave.

Not only this type of archetype was used in literature, but in stories explained in video games. I'd like to see how this aspect of original literature would be used in future creations.