Prostitution

Prostitution is an issue that has not seen a lot of light from politicians, yet for some it is a common activity in their lives. There have been many politicians caught and put in jail because of their interest in the prostitution world. One example is Eliot Spitzer, the Democratic governor of New York, who was a client of an exclusive prostitution ring. It is allegedly said that he paid several thousand dollars for sexual services. But it doesn't stop there. I am not writing to defend this disgusting acts, but I am writing because I am on the fence that outlawing prostitution is fair. Ever since the 1973 court case of Wade vs. Roe, abortion has been legal in every state in the US. Now if we are allowing women to kill a fetus inside them, what right do we say that they can't use their own bodies to make money? I believe that we as a free country should be able to make our own decisions: and that includes our decisions what to do with our bodies. Cutting, bulimia, tattoos and other things that harm or permanently alter the body are not illegal so again why is prostitution? I understand that if it was legalized the risk of young people getting involved would be a problem and completely not right, but there are also the other women that want to do it, but cannot. I cannot speak for others so saying that no one wants to be a prostitute would be complete speculation: maybe there are women out there that truly desire to have sex for a living: I cannot judge. There are in fact legalized prostitution ranches in Nevada called "Bunny ranches" and it seems to me that those women are happy. From my knowledge none of them are held against their will, but are obviously making the choice to be a prostitute. All I am doing is asking questions. Why is it okay for women to abort babies, but not sell their bodies? It doesn't make sense to me.

Prostitution

Submitted by Francisco J. on Thu, 2012-10-25 22:22.

Jenna,
I enjoyed reading your article concerning the problem of prostitution. I agree with the your reasoning that if women are allowed to abort, they should also be allowed to sell their bodies. Although selling ones body could lead to an increase in venereal diseases, its the individual's choice to sell their body or sleep with a prostitute. I have a similar confusion when it comes down to tobacco and marijuana. I believe the government should either decriminalize marijuana or legalize it due to the fact that tobacco is legal. I enjoyed reading your article and I hope to read more of your discussions in the future.

- Paco Juarez

Prostitution

Submitted by MimiAndrews on Fri, 2012-10-26 18:58.

Jenna,

I think your discussion was very interesting. I've never really thought of prostitution that way before. It is true that women get to choose what they do with their bodies, which is why Roe vs. Wade is a thing, but I still think that there is a difference between prostitution and abortion. A lot of the time women are forced into prostitution and sex trafficking. A woman may choose prostitution one time, but then is forced into it other times. I understand what you are saying about how if a women wants to do something with her body she should have the right to do it, but because prostitution involves more than one person, more people are likely to be drawn into the situation and make it potentially worse. I think your view was very interesting and I admire how open you are about your opinions!