Prototype vs. Ayiti: Cost of Life

by: JCernadas
What I'm good at

Prototype is a fun little game that I own for the PS3. It based on a character, Alex Mercer, who has been infected with a virus. This virus has taken over his body, and given him the power of transformation. He can slice and dice enemies, and run at the speed of light. It's really fun to play the game, the whole point is to get to the bottom of it. Basically, who started the virus, why did it spread and consume almost all of Manhattan, and what happened to Alex Mercer? I love to run and slice the civilians of Manhattan, and this game is pretty brutal so you see their bodies cut in half, and their limbs flying all over the place.
Ayiti:Cost of Life is a game based in Haiti, where you have to ensure the survival of a family of five. There isn't much you can do, you choose what the characters do for each season, then you pray that they survive. In my game play of it, I haven't really found a strategy to beat the game. I think I'm a little sadistic, because when I know I'm going to lose, I start forcing them to work even when they are sick. I just wait till they die. There isn't a lot to say about this game, it's pretty simple.
If Prototype were something else, it would probably be a movie. This game has a lot, and I'm pretty sure some director can make this come to life on the big screen. If Ayiti were a color it would be brown. I don't know, I just see it as brown. Brown has moments where it is pretty, on a dress or on another piece of clothing. But the whole game you have to try really hard so your family doesn't die. It has murky moments where you are close to death.
Everyone knows, well at least I hope they know that Prototype is a game. I really don't think many people in this room know or even heard of the game. Ayiti, EVERYONE knows, is an online game. A game where you try to keep a family of 5 alive for 4 years.
I know for sure that Prototype is based in Manhattan, not in all of NY, while everyone knows that Ayiti is based on keeping a family of 5 alive, not really much else.
The game of Prototype is set in a realistic world known as: MANHATTAN. Dun dun dun. You start the game of with a brief intro of the future powers you can get. The infection has already consumed about half of the population in Manhattan, and you have all of the powers you can get in the game. Your objective, well its a tutorial but still, is to just beat the Infected. It has different levels of Infected from: Hunters to Leaders to Hydras. You have to go through a small sampling of each type and defeat them all. Once that is completed, you get to see a cool cut scene of him just beating the snot out of everything. And after that is over, it starts the actual game in flashback mode. You play in the flashback at the time when he first gets infected, it's a kind of tutorial mode. Showing you different hints and tips about your new powers.
The game of Ayiti: Cost of Life is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Prototype. This game is set in a fictitious land called Ayiti (based on Haiti) and in this game you need to take care of a family of five for four years. That's about it, make sure that at least one adult is alive by the end, and you win!

Ace:Have you played Prototype yet?
n00b: Umm, yaaaaa... What's Prototype?
Ace: ... It's a video game dude. Its really cool. You get to be this guy who can morph into another person by consuming that person!
n00b: Oh snaps! That is cool, I should check it out man.
Ace: Yeah, you should, also have you ever heard of thew online game called Ayiti: Cost of Life?
n00b: ...
Ace: ... Yeah well, its alright. You know the earthquake in Haiti?
n00b: Yeah...?
Ace: Well, it was made in regards to that. You have to keep a Haitian family of 5 alive until the end of 4 years.
n00b: Wow, sounds hard.
Ace: Yeah, but you just need to figure out a strategy, after that its pretty simple. It's also really fun.
n00b: Hmm, thanks man! I'll check it out now!
Ace: ...What have I done?

I like your essay Prototype

ypark's picture
Submitted by ypark on Wed, 2010-02-24 13:19.

I like your essay Prototype vs Ayiti:Cost of Life because you compare both games very well while at the same time you are successfully able to degrade Ayiti. I think that you structured the essay successfully and that you successfully did well in successfully finishing the essay. I really like how you are able to compare two completely different games really well in the way you did.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is:"I think Ayiti:Cost of Life is a horrible game that never should have been made. First of all, who makes games out of disasters? I think that is sicker then seeing civilians get chopped up by the helicopter". I think this is cool because  it is very cool. Thank you.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are a very cool person who plays video games. I like Prototype also. Goodbye.

Thanks for commenting, but I

JCernadas's picture
Submitted by JCernadas on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:26.

Thanks for commenting, but I didnt write what you quoted. o_O

Why do you spell noob with

atorres's picture
Submitted by atorres on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:17.

Why do you spell noob with two zeros?

To even ask suggests that

JCernadas's picture
Submitted by JCernadas on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:23.

To even ask suggests that you are a n00b.

I liked your ending

agordon's picture
Submitted by agordon on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:21.

I liked your ending dialogue!

Thanks, I like it too!

JCernadas's picture
Submitted by JCernadas on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:22.

Thanks, I like it too!

Dear Jessy, "I love to run

achan's picture
Submitted by achan on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:26.

Dear Jessy,

"I love to run and slice the civilians of Manhattan, and this game is pretty brutal so you see their bodies cut in half, and their limbs flying all over the place." The game you chose sounds kind of gruesome.

"because when I know I'm going to lose, I start forcing them to work even when they are sick. I just wait till they die. There isn't a lot to say about this game, it's pretty simple." Yea, my thoughts exactly. The reason why I do that is because I hope for the season to go faster. If I put them to work, I let them take it easy. The family that I control can't afford to stay in the clinic the whole season. Don't worry, it's not just you.

Haha, I can see why Ayiti: Cost of Life is completely different from Prototype. Cost of Life is like a happy game with colorful backgrounds. I can imagine the colors of Prototype. Probably something like metalic and blood red. Plus, Cost of Life is like 11+. Prototype is probably 13+ because of all the gore.

XD. Good to know I'm not

JCernadas's picture
Submitted by JCernadas on Thu, 2010-02-25 09:32.

XD. Good to know I'm not alone~