Provide More Funding For High School Counselor

by: spadilla

Hello, lovely people! I've started the petition "State of California and Oakland Unified School District: Provide more funding for High School Counselors" and need your help to get it off the ground. Please add some comment, so that I could use it as an evidence for my Senior Project.

Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/p/state-of-california-and-oakland-unified-school-d...

Here's why it's important:

Fremont High School is a high-poverty, high-need school in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Due to lack of resources and positive attention from the state, our school district is challenged to give Fremont what it needs so that all of our students achieve academically. The main request of this petition is to compel the state and the district to provide more funding so that Fremont High School can at least have enough academic and mental health counselors to help more students understand whether they are on the best path to a successful graduation and a future college or career. Our teachers work very hard for us, but they are too often asked to be counselors as well because we only have one official counselor for 776 students. The lack of mental health counselor in Oakland schools also affects the students negatively because they do not have access to a professional who can give them resources to deal with conditions like PTSD, depression and other health issues. It is not only Fremont High School that suffers from this resource issue, but all Oakland schools. Would you consider supporting this petitions so that the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) can invest more money in school to bring more academic and mental health counselors to every campus?

Thanks!
Sunjoy Padilla