Public Health Emotional Appeals

An emotional appeal is when people or corporations, try to use an emotion to persuade you to do something or not do something. Emotional appeals have been used for hundreds of years. Either in a hundred year old sermon or in modern day advertisements people try to persuade each other by using emotions that they mostly can’t control. Public health emotional appeals are aimed to mostly stop the general public from doing something that can be harmful to their health or other’s health. They can be either positive or negative, depending on the opinion of the person.

I personally believe that most of the public health emotional appeals are negative. The images that are mostly always placed on an advertisements, are fearful images that frighten the person to do or not to do something. For example, in an advertisement that is meant for people who are smokers, they will most likely show an image of burnt lungs or a person with a hole on their throat. These appeals aim to have the person stop what they are doing by using fear. If a smoker sees an ad like this they will most likely be motivated to stop smoking in fear that they will end up like the people who are featured in the ad.

Another emotion that is very commonly used in public health emotional appeal is happiness. If you see a commercial on television about a new pill that can take away your allergies for 24 hours, the person in the background of the commercial seems to be experiencing happiness. They will probably be shown having some time with their family or just enjoying a beautiful day on their porch at home, but they look happy. The commercial used the emotion of happiness that now you might want to experience after seeing the commercial. You can't help it that you have allergies and want relief and the commercial will make you feel that you can have what you want if you only buy the pills.

Yes what I mostly see on

tsaeteurn's picture
Submitted by tsaeteurn on Fri, 2016-04-08 21:54.

Yes what I mostly see on those commercial campaigns are fear based appeals so you are aware of the dangers. It would be nice if more of these campaigns uase a different approach like humor or happiness.

Yes what I mostly see on

tsaeteurn's picture

Yes what I mostly see on those commercial campaigns are fear based appeals so you are aware of the dangers. It would be nice if more of these campaigns use a different approach like humor or happiness.

Yes what I mostly see on

tsaeteurn's picture

Yes what I mostly see on

tsaeteurn's picture