The Race

by: 16sharpem

I created the Scratch animation The Race as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which the character is forced to make a tough decision which will impact important things in there lives. One decision is right and one decision although it may help you in the short-term will hurt because it was not the right thing to do.

My story is about a girl that has a race to run during track and she is very nervous about it. She really doesn’t want to lose and even though she has trained hard for it she is still scared and unsure if she will really be able to win the race. She found steroids and had to decide whether to take them or not to take them.

My story was inspired by people who have been caught cheating in races and could have gotten close to winning without cheating. I think they should have been honorable and taken second or third and not cheated to get in first place.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I think it showed good morals about making the right decisions. It showed that even though sometimes cheating can make you win, it’s better to safely play the game and do it fairly and get third or even fourth place based on your own abilities not something else. My story teaches a good lesson to people who have considered cheating.

hi

16lius's picture
Submitted by 16lius on Tue, 2012-01-03 18:41.

I liked the ethical decision of the story and i really enjoyed the art that you drew for this.
I noticed that the girl had really wanted to win this race and i was confused by what race this was that they would take a steroids test. Something that could be improved was more interaction and having the people move more and make it longer!
The ethical dilemma in your story was whether or not to take steroitds or not. The wrong choice was tempting because you really wanted to win this race so you might do it. I understood the ethical dilemma which was that you must not take the steroids. I think you did a good job. it was quite clear!

ethical decision

16morrowa's picture
Submitted by 16morrowa on Tue, 2012-01-03 18:52.

i liked that the place that the person finished in the race was effected by the stereroids.
I noticed that the person came in second when the person didnt take the steroids and this proves that things will get better if u do the right thing even though they might not become perfect.
The ethical dilemma in your story was good because it made it was hard to choose because if you took the steroids then the person would probably win by cheating and without the steroids you might not win but you were honest and did not cheat.

You are God

16steinbergg's picture
Submitted by 16steinbergg on Wed, 2012-01-04 16:54.

I really liked your project. The thing i liked most about it was that it was realistic and it definitely has happened before. It is a very realistic situation and the choices are realistic and the consequences are also very realistic and you hear about this on the news all the time. I also like that you did all the artwork your self. It proves that you spent a lot of time on it and that you have pride in your work and you don't leave it to the last minute even though you probably did.

Great Story

16cygertm's picture
Submitted by 16cygertm on Wed, 2012-01-04 20:12.

I liked this story, because the decision the player had to make was hard, which was the point. You had to decide between taking the steroids and cheating or playing the race fair. I noticed that even if you didn't take the steroids you came in 2nd place, which showed me that you don't always have to be the best, it's important to try.
The only thing I don't think is too good is that I don't think that younger kids would understand this. But, other than that it's a good animation.

Kids Understanding

16sharpem's picture
Submitted by 16sharpem on Wed, 2013-11-27 13:50.

When I made this project, it was intended for mostly older kids to view. Steroids and cheating are not a big problem among very young kids. That is why it may be a bit harder for younger kids to understand, because this video was not targeted at them.

Peer Evaluation

16burmann's picture
Submitted by 16burmann on Wed, 2012-01-04 21:16.

I liked that you drew the characters and backgrounds. It seems as though you worked hard on it. I noticed that it wasn’t very long and the characters didn’t have much interaction and didn’t move much. Something you could have done better was making it longer and making the characters move around and talk more. The ethical dilemma in your story was whether or not you should take Steroids. I understood the choices. I understood that the wrong choice: take Steroids was tempting because you wanted to win this race so you wanted to take Steroids. The ethical decisions were good because it’s something other kids deal with too. Good job.

A bit tempting

16perezbossute's picture
Submitted by 16perezbossute on Tue, 2012-01-24 16:13.

I liked the plot of the story, it brought up something that could definetely happen in real life, and appropriate consequences followed
I noticed, That on one stage there was "You have passed the steroids test"- just say "steriod test".

The ethical dilemma in your story was wether or not to take steroids to run the race. If you took the steroids you would probably win but would have to deal with the quilt and fear of passing the steroid test. If you did not take the steriods you might not win but you would easily pass the steroid test.

The wrong choice was not a bit tempting- a good choice to put because there have been some real examples of that. The mechanisms to make a decision were very easy to follow, clear.