Rape and Rape Culture

Rape is a horrible crime, and half of our population has to live with the fear that it could happen to them at a moment’s notice. That is not okay. Rape and Rape culture is one of the most pressing issues that our society faces, which is why I felt the need to say something about it. Since I started researching this, I have learned a lot and I don’t really know what the most disturbing part is. It might be that 68% of rapes go unreported, and 94% of rapists never spend a day in jail. Or it could be the numbers themselves. There are 80,000-100,000 reported Rapes in America every year, and since only 32% of rapes are reported, there are probably close to 300,000 rapes in America every year (according to , the Rape Abuse and Incest national network, it was most likely around 293,000). I learned that 15% of rapes are committed against victims under the age of twelve, that survivors of rape are 26 times more likely to abuse drugs, and that they are prone to PTSD, depression, and suicide. I am highly disturbed that our society blames the victims for getting raped when we should obviously be blaming the rapists. I am disturbed that people I truly love and care about have been taught that they have to carry a can of mace or a knife with them in case they get into a dangerous situation, that they can never, under any circumstance, lose track of their drink at a party, and that they have to be alert and afraid no matter where they are. There are consequences for people who speak against rape, too. If the rapist goes to trial, he will most likely be set free, and the victim has to live with the fear that their rapist will come back and hurt them again for speaking out, and that’s if it even makes it to a trial. I read a news article in which an 11 year old girl named Danielle Hicks-Best was raped, and when she reported it to the police, she was charged with a false report (even though the evidence that she had been raped was clearly evident), while the “men” who raped her got away with no punishment

Very Powerful Topic

Submitted by Chrispayne on Sun, 2015-03-22 20:02.

This is a strong topic for a research paper. I like that you've done a lot of research already and are clearly invested in this, and I'm sure you'll find more than enough information for your paper. There are plenty of ways you could approach this topic. For example, what are the physical and psychological effects of rape? How does rape culture varies among the USA and other countries? What could we do differently as a nation to help fix this? And while the rape of women is definitely the greater problem in modern society, you could also look at some statistics of male rape. This will be a strong and important paper no matter what direction you take it. The only correction I think you should make is to fix that link to the statistics.