Rape in Society

This week I focused my research on how rape is treated legally. I found an article about a man named Adrian Bayley. Bayley is a convicted rapist, but the legal system treats him as if he only committed minor crimes. When Bayley was tried, he was not sentenced as a serious sexual offender (regardless of the fact that he had committed more than 20 individual rapes), and after a short time he was granted parole. During his parole, he violently attacked a man, and although he plead guilty to the attack, his parole was not revoked and he was granted the privilege to once again roam the streets. Later, a woman was raped in his usual hunting ground, but no suspicions were placed on him by the justice system. Bayley is a violent criminal, a convicted rapist, and a possible murderer, but the justice system has failed time and again to put him away for his crimes. This means that he can continue to find victims, and the protection that the courts and the police are supposed to grant to women becomes insignificant.

Rape's legal status is a problem worldwide, too. In Afghanistan, a woman was raped, but when she reported the assault, she was charged with adultery. She was given the choice to either spend 12 years in prison or to marry the man who raped her. The nineteen year old has been failed by all forms of justice, and all she can do to stay out of prison is to marry a man who attacked her, who she cannot even look in the eye. There is no fairness to what happened to her.