R@pe in Society

This week I focused my research on how rape is treated legally. I found an article about a man named Adrian Bayley. Bayley is a convicted rapist, but the legal system treats him as if he only committed minor crimes. When Bayley was tried, he was not sentenced as a serious sexual offender (regardless of the fact that he had committed more than 20 individual rapes), and after a short time he was granted parole. During his parole, he violently attacked a man, and although he plead guilty to the attack, his parole was not revoked and he was granted the privilege to once again roam the streets. Later, a woman was raped in his usual hunting ground, but no suspicions were placed on him by the justice system. Bayley is a violent criminal, a convicted rapist, and a possible murderer, but the justice system has failed time and again to put him away for his crimes. This means that he can continue to find victims, and the protection that the courts and the police are supposed to grant to women becomes insignificant.

Rape's legal status is a problem worldwide, too. In Afghanistan, a woman was raped, but when she reported the assault, she was charged with adultery. She was given the choice to either spend 12 years in prison or to marry the man who raped her. The nineteen year old has been failed by all forms of justice, and all she can do to stay out of prison is to marry a man who attacked her, who she cannot even look in the eye. There is no fairness to what happened to her.

www.theage.com.au/victoria/adrian-bayley-how-the-justice-system-left-him...

Definitely

Submitted by JacobLoose on Mon, 2015-11-16 17:44.

I agree that the justice system in this country and in pretty much every other country is messed up. You provided just one out of thousands of examples of unpunished cases of rape and sexual assault, murder, and other forms of assault. This is a serious problem in society and although it is addressed, nothing is being done about it. I am convinced that this issue will eventually resolve itself in America, but I am not too convinced that this will be resolved in other parts of the world any time soon, in particular the Middle East. Although the way rape is handled in the Middle East is a cultural and traditional thing, it is still wrong. I sure hope this view on women (and even men) changes for the good.

Definitely

Sam, I completely agree that

Submitted by SarahEFarrell on Mon, 2015-11-16 17:44.

Sam,
I completely agree that the giant problem of rape is not taken seriously enough in not only the U.S. but as well as other parts of the world. There have been many situations where offenders have gotten away with their extreme crimes. I think it is sad that people look over these incidents where both men and women are taken advantage of. Rape is a complete violation of a person's fundamental rights and legal systems need to start realizing that it is not something to simply overlook. We need to start a change so that rape is taken more seriously throughout the world.