Rebellious Cinderella

by: 16chungk

I created the Scratch animation “Rebellious Cinderella” as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that shows our understanding of what’s right and wrong. It also distinguishes and shows what is right and wrong, with choices characters make throughout the story.

My story is about a girl named Charme, whose mom and dad passed away, and lives with her stepmother, Mrs. Periwinkle and her stepsister, Aria. Charme is very rebellious, so even when Mrs. Periwinkle tries to be very cruel to her and make her life miserable, she always denies and rebels against her orders. One day, Charme is invited to a party. However, Mrs. Periwinkle forbids her to go unless Charme finishes all her chores. Mrs. Periwinkle takes her daughter, Aria, and goes to the party herself, leaving Charme behind. She has to make a decision of going to the party and disobeying Mrs. Periwinkle or stay in the house and do the chores. If she stays in the house, Mrs. Periwinkle and Aria comes back to the house, and overjoyed to see her cleaning, they go to Hawaii. However, if she goes to the party, she gets caught by her stepmother and gets grounded forever.

My story was inspired by the common fairy tale, Cinderella. I decided to use this story, because I knew many myths and fairy tales had ethical decisions in them. It was interesting how Cinderella i such a common story, yet it seemed like nobody used it. I made a twist in the story plot, making Charme (“Cinderella”) rebellious and disobedient, instead of a kind, sweet girl.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I fulfilled all the requirements that were required. It was very fun making the story but also difficult trying to make it 3 minutes, making it interactive, creating two different endings, etc. However, I was satisfied with my work in the end, and I feel that I was successful in making an ethical story.

Professional

16rahmanm's picture
Submitted by 16rahmanm on Wed, 2012-01-04 15:02.

Very interesting project, looks very professional and consistent. The ethical decision was well done. Thumbs up.

Response to Rebellious Cinderellla

16brooksm's picture
Submitted by 16brooksm on Thu, 2012-01-05 16:47.

The animation and sprites/backgrounds were cool and I liked the way you made your own version of cinderella. The dialogue was interesting too. Overall your project was really cool and professional looking. The only thing I noticed is that the the transition of the scenes go by very quickly and it may be a bit confusing for some watchers. The ethical dilemma in your story is that a girl must decide to go to the party that her step mother tells her she is not allowed to or stay at home and clean like she was told to. If you stay at home and clean you get rewarded with a trip hawaii and if you go to the party you get grounded for life. The wrong choice was VERY tempting. Even though you know in the end staying at home will make things better for you, you really don't want to give in to what this cruel step mother says to do. The mechanism for making the choices was clear.

This was very interesting and

16dasd's picture
Submitted by 16dasd on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:03.

This was very interesting and i liked the ethical decision

Great job Munawar

16matovica's picture
Submitted by 16matovica on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:22.

I really liked this project, very clean, no glitches. Really enjoyed it. It makes you feel all kinds of essential emotions like sympathy.

Great Job Kathy

16matovica's picture

Great job Kathy

16matovica's picture
Submitted by 16matovica on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:24.

Comment on Project

16mizukamia's picture
Submitted by 16mizukamia on Fri, 2012-01-06 07:06.

I think that this was a good project, and I really liked the fact that there weren't any glitches, and the mechanics were easy to understand. I also like how you used Cinderella but also made some changes to it. I think that you should try and make the changes a little more tempting, maybe through some dialogue or something, but I think that this was overall good.

I liked your project

16parhamr's picture
Submitted by 16parhamr on Tue, 2012-01-24 15:59.

I liked your project mainly because it ran smoothly. It did not have any problems transitioning from one scene to the next, or one sprite costume to the next. I enjoyed the story, and wanted to replay and see the other side to it.

Good job! The animation runs

Submitted by 17jalozas on Tue, 2012-04-24 13:58.

Good job! The animation runs smoothly and they idea is very good. Overall I felt the animation was very done. I also really liked how used typing to create and interactive animation. The ethical dilemma was very well done because it proved that doing the right thing leads to better outcomes than doing wrong. In the regular Cinderella, the main character gets good things for doing what is wrong, but this story shows the way things should work and does the opposite. Well done!

Samantha, i don't agree that

17oconnellb's picture
Submitted by 17oconnellb on Tue, 2012-04-24 14:02.

Samantha, i don't agree that in the regular Cinderella, she gets rewarded for bad behavior, because if you think about it her step family was evil and they were making her unhappy, so she was kind of doing the right thing for herself. but in this version, going to the party was wrong because the stepmother was nice.

i liked how you took the

17oconnellb's picture
Submitted by 17oconnellb on Tue, 2012-04-24 14:00.

i liked how you took the classic "Cinderella" story, and then gave it your own modern twist. i could tell that you worked really hard on the details. the music was a nice effect! and the sprites were really cute. also, i liked the morals and i watched both outcomes, the were really funny! good work.

i liked the story and plot in

Submitted by 17elbannay on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:18.

i liked the story and plot in it. the music was also really catchy, but when i saw your choices i thought that it was not easy to choose between them, since she wants to go to the party to have fun or she stays at home and cleans as her mean step-mother told her to. in the actual cinderella story, cinderella went to the ball/party, so in the end it wasn't an easy choice. good job, also the drawings were great.