Religion Assimilated Into Individuals?

by: Austin I.
Religion

Does religion play too big of a role in our society? When posed with this question many people will say that the constitution protects our freedom of religion; so no. But what if they are wrong? The United States’ official motto is In God we Trust, so does this mean that those people are wrong?

When religion is assimilated into a society, do we have free will when choosing what to believe in? Everyone tells us that we can believe in whatever we want, but I believe that this is not true. Some people might say that religion is a personal belief, that society can’t tell you what to believe in. This makes me think that they haven’t truly looked at what is happening in the world to people who don’t believe in the same things that those around them believe in.

Can people who don’t know how it feels to be cast out of a group see what I believe? Religion is the thing that causes groups to split and society to argue. From this, I also think it is true that religion is forced upon individuals, which can’t be right. If a person can’t truly choose what they want to believe in, then what is the point of faith?

Interesting

Submitted by dominiquebird on Thu, 2016-04-14 11:23.

You pose a really intense, controversial, subject. I think it's great that you want to talk about religion and question the society around us. Maybe it is better to remove "In God We Trust" from our currency and the Pledge of Allegiance, but who knows? If nobody questions it changes won't be made. So while you had a strong opinion and you posed thoughtful questions, I think your piece could be improved by answering these questions more clearly and giving additional details to have the reader take into consideration.

Your question is a good one

Submitted by TRollman on Thu, 2016-04-14 12:11.

Your question is a good one that doesn't have a definitive answer, I think. Yes, we all have religious freedom, protected under the Constitution, but how much are we protected? Look at all the instances where religious freedom is broken. The FLDS community in the southern reaches of Utah still want to practice polygamy, as it is a traditional part of their religion, yet it is outlawed by the US. Religious freedom can also go to the other extreme, where everyone has to be represented equally by federal law. For example,, due to the Christian display in the Oklahoma City Capitol, they have to give the right to display to everyone, such as Satanic put up a statue o f satan in the courthouse, which many would deem unreasonable, but is protected by that first amendment. Either way, there is always going to be religi in government. Government often tries to be moral (we hope), and many times that morality matches with religion. It's complicated, and I wish you luck in figuring out how much role it should play.