Response to "An Incident" by Lu Hsun

by: aru

I just read a story, "An Incident," by Lu Hsun, and I really enjoyed it because it talks of reforming yourself as a person. In the story, it shows that even a cold, rigid person had found kindness through an experience. A single incident changed his moral values and ideas of life. You can learn a valuable lesson from this story and it can even help you to become a better person.

One line from "An Incident" that stood out for me was: "Yet this incident keeps coming back to me often more vivd than in actual life, teaching me shame, urging me to reform, and giving me fresh courage and hope." This sentence stood out for me because it shows that he realized that a small act of kindness can touch many hearts, even his own cold one. The incident opened his eyes to how not all people were greedy and wicked. It changed his misanthropic thoughts to the idea that maybe humans are good and compassionate.

Another line that I liked was: " Without thinking, I pulled a handful of coppers from my coat pocket and handed them to the policeman." He did not even think about his actions, but immediately did an act of kindness. I think this is a good example of how kindness is contagious. When he saw the rickshaw man help the lady, he felt small compared to him and had a revolation. The writer felt he needed to repent for his rudeness and had the urge to help others.

"An Incident" reminds me of something that happened to me. When I was a young girl, I never had to give up my seat on the bus. One day I witnessed a man giving his seat to an elderly woman and I wondered why he had done that. Did he not want to sit down? I asked my mom and she had told me that the elderly woman can stand as well as us and that they need to sit more than us. Now, I never hesitate to give my seat to the elderly. It was a valuable lesson in kindness that I won't forget.

I would love to read more stories from Lu Hsun, because he teaches lesson in his stories. He show revolations in peoples likes and understands human emotions. Lu Hsun is a great author and I can't wait to read more from him.

I read your response to the

Submitted by BAnderson on Wed, 2008-10-29 11:28.

I read your response to the story, "An incident", and i liked the way you clarrified what lines drew you the to his text. The way you adressed specific lines in your respnse i particularly enjoyed. Your incident is very interesting and different.

You explained how you came about your incident on the bus. Your way of putting your thoughts and your reality attached to your incident is flabbergasting.

New comment

Submitted by Dtan on Thu, 2008-10-30 19:48.

I like how you said This sentence stood out for me because it shows that he realized that a small act of kindness can touch many hearts, even his own cold one. That is because its true it dose make you realized that a small act of kindness can go a long way. Alot people now a days dont know what kindness is. And I think if they have read the story then they would know what it means to be kind to people.  And the world now is more cruel then ever. I cant belive how rude people can be and they all can say oh Im a nice person I am kind but its not true. If the person was kind then you would the old person take the seat and not just sit there and be like yeah my seat.  

Another sentence I like about your response was how you compared it to your own exprince. I had some what the same thing happen to me. But I didnt really notice that someone gave up there seat. I just know that my friend said give your seat to that guy he looks tired. And i was like he looks old and I think he smells. I was rude and now I know that Im never doing that again. So I learn to keep everything to myself and just let the good out.                                                                                                    

I agree with you we should read more stories from Lu Hsun because he dose teach us about life. And he dose show in his work change in people. Maybe he has more stories just like this one. So i would be looking foward to reading more of his work. Maybe it will teach me more about life and what to do in life. Or maybe i will learn something about myself and life it self.                                                                                                

yay!

Submitted by SFootman on Sun, 2008-11-09 21:25.

I also enjoyed the incident. Lu Hsun is a great aurthor who packs lessons and morals in his stories.

One line i liked from you story was "Now, I never hesitate to give my seat to the elderly. It was a valuable lesson in kindness that I won't forget." I think that thats an adorable childhood memory,and its good you give seats to the elderly (i'd be dissapointed if you didn't"

Another line i liked is "He show revolations in peoples likes and understands human emotions." I like your grammer. You sound very intellent when you tell a story. Keep up the good work!