The Ritual of a Khmer Blood

by: jpho

One’s point of view for the power to heal an individual or give out treatment is a totally different when it comes to many Cambodian families, but especially upon my own family belief. My family members have told me that during their time in Cambodia, every family has their own struggle based on their beliefs and the change of generations have shaped different people with different mindsets of religious superstitions. My family has their own belief of treating an individual when one is ill or when one is in their mental/physical pain.

My family members have told me that in order for everyone to remain healthy in a physical matter, they were taught to eat vegetables that are green grown in their field. My own mother have told me that based on your class, the farmers which were my family back in the days in Cambodia overseas was the ones to have the privilege to be given fruits and vegetables grown in their own area of the village to heal. Whenever a child has a fever, cold, etc., my family would offer a specific vegetable that would help heal the child or person in the village to become better. But if one is very ill for a long period of time, then that leads into the superstition of the work of the spiritual ancestors or the power of witchcraft from another human.

Through the religious beliefs, in order to heal one person in the family in a village you would have to call out a peace offering to the ancestors. The sickness that one human can possibly be tamed from is the cause of a family member being in any pain in the inside that's dealt with headaches, heartaches, or fevers is a sign of an ancestral threat. Those signs are then the effect of an ancestor trying to claim that person of a dominant owner owning that soul. The ancestors of the person is aggressively informing the families or in my case my own family to have a peace offering of food for any sign of love and unforgettable memories you withhold with that ancestor. So what my family does is do a ceremony that brings in everyone in the family together to hold a ceremony that holds fruits and vegetables in the middle for the ancestors to take in with them spiritually so that way the ancestors can live in peace in their rightful place.

That’s where it all leads fate into the threat from a human being hurting another family through the work of witchcraft. My family has have their own experience dealing with the threat of witchcraft, my mother specifically. Not just a superstition but an experience that moved my family into being very concern from forming enemies around them, especially in Cambodia. The root of a work of witchcraft is that when one is having the physical pain that have bothered them for a long period of time, it is told that someone is using a voodoo doll against that individual in a family to put out a curse that will have that person to be put to death in a short period of time. For my family, they still face this threatening lead today but just like the cure that was used back in the days, they still used the same thing as for today. My family would believe that going to the temple or even informing any monk to help bless away the demonic powers the witchcraft is used against any family member to end the curse. The cause of the physical pain is usually led into the belief of witchcraft used by some other individual which eventually will end by the power of the monk to bless you and to help mend you a string that you shall wrap around your body, neck, wrist to keep any dark spirit that shall overcome you away. By this, this is the way on how my own Cambodian (Khmer) family would deal with any physical pain that will happen in a long period of time and to peacefully keep our family into living a peaceful life through our helpful cultural actions.

I really like this blog you

joly's picture
Submitted by joly on Tue, 2015-02-24 01:39.

I really like this blog you wrote, because it allows me to understand your family more. I dont really know your family like that so this has given me information I never thought I would here.

oooooh, it's very interesting

Submitted by esaefong on Fri, 2015-02-27 02:40.

oooooh, it's very interesting that in your culture every family has their own set of beliefs. Each family's belief does not have to be the same as another family of the same culture. And I also find it interesting that each fruit or vegetable has its own kind of "effect."

Witchcraft!?!

Submitted by msaelee on Sun, 2015-03-01 20:39.

Wow! That's really cool but scary at the same time! Who would want to do that to your mom? did your mom get better after going to the temple or a monk?

you have me interested now.

Submitted by ltramiel on Tue, 2015-03-03 01:44.

Do these beliefs work in your family? If so, how long does it take? When you say vegetable, is it a specific kind or in general? I find your story/experiences very interesting. Has it worked on you?

you have me interested now.

Submitted by ltramiel on Tue, 2015-03-03 01:47.

Wow as I was reading I kept

Submitted by esehric on Thu, 2015-03-05 01:22.

Wow as I was reading I kept thinking about how similar it is to Hmong culture about spirits. It's so interesting to know that vegetables and fruits being offered can help the ancestors stay in peace! Very nice reflection!