Rollerblading on my own

by: evelyns

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

I was ten when I first learned how to rollerblade. I always saw how my sister would skate, and I envied her because I would have the four wheel roller skates which I pretty much didn’t like. Those were for babies, and I was a “Big Girl.”

I thought I wasn’t cool because I saw how my sister looked with no fear of skating on roller blades. I always wanted to learn but nobody wanted to teach me. I guess it was because I was an annoying little girl who would whine and brag about it.

One day I finally stood up and said to myself, “I will learn how to skate!” On a day when my sister wasn’t around, I sneaked under my sister’s bed and pull out her roller blades and grabbed them. Since my apartment had a small hallway, I used that as a practice place.

When I first put them on, I was scared, but I already had practice since I skated with the four wheel skates. As I was trying to skate, I hoped that wouldn’t fall and hurt myself. As soon as my I heard my sister coming home, I would rush and hide the roller blades under her bed.

Eventually she caught me, and she finally took her time to help me. I would skate and skate till finally one day I just started skating alone with nothing to hold on to. I was super happy!

This memory just makes me smile every time I think of it. As soon as I was skating on my own, all I wanted to do was go outside and skate and skate. But yet again, I was just too young. I would beg my sister non-stop to take me outside, and she would get irritated till she said, “Yes!”

Off I went with my sister, skating with a smile on my face. This reminds me of the good days I had with my sister. Also I learned to do something on my own. Anything is possible as long as you try your best in life to achieve what you want.

Dear Evelyn <3, I like this

debral's picture
Submitted by debral on Sat, 2011-10-22 01:22.

Dear Evelyn <3,

I like this post, "Rollerblading on my own", because it's very intereseting. 

One sentence you wrote that stood out for me is " and I envied her because I would have the four wheel roller skates which, I pretty much didn't like. As a little girl I was always afraid to take chances but as I grow I break out of that habit and do things to make myself happy and those I love.

Another sentecne that stood out for me was " I always wanted to learn but nobody wanted to teach me. I guess it was because I was an annoying little girl who would whine and brag about it. I can realte to this because looking back and thinking how I was when I was a little girl I would tell myself I can do things on my own but sometimes I would have to realize there's always help.

Thanks for this posting this lovely post, I look forward to more of your great work :)

Dear Debra, Everyone was

evelyns's picture
Submitted by evelyns on Mon, 2011-11-07 14:03.

Dear Debra,

Everyone was like this at this young age I like how we can relate on things when we grew up and how you broke out of that fear just like how I had a fear of the dark. Thanks for the comment :) <3