Solar’s Future (Rough Draft of Argumentative Paper on Solar Energy)

by: connorc

Solar energy should be implemented on a widespread basis because it saves money, reduces air pollution, and because it’s renewable.

Solar energy should be implemented on a widespread basis because it saves money. For example, a Californian building company called Lennar, Corp. has begun installing solar panels on all of the houses it builds, including ones in California, Colorado, and Nevada. One homeowner states, “Any savings, especially when buying a new house, is huge. Twenty percent off our electricity bill is a discount we will get forever.” (Hudson).

Any Lennar home comes equipped with solar panels on the roof, and these panels save homeowners money for the rest of their lives. These solar panels require little maintenance and will simply continue to save one money on electricity for the duration of home ownership. Also, the solar energy industry has been growing, and with that growth has come reduced costs and improved quality:

The surging market in solar electric power generation has pushed down the cost of CSP collectors over the past 10 years, from around $300 per square meter3 to below $200 per square meter. The scale-up in the solar electric power market has had other benefits, as well: growth of the supply chain, standardization of components, increased quality and reliability and increased performance of the collectors. (Mason)

What does this mean? This means that homeowners can now get better, money saving energy for less money than ever before. It’s never been easier to implement this renewable energy more heavily into our everyday lives.

Solar energy needs to be more incorporated into society because it helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, and in turn global warming itself. Allison Baker and Kevin Boxer outline the immense benefits that solar could bring to our society in an excerpt from their magazine, Solar Today:

Because the sun provides energy predictably and for free, no energy source offers a more stable price. Stable energy costs contribute to stable government, stable businesses and stable societies. The displacement of combustion fuels reduces emissions of particulates and pollutants into the air, contributing to cleaner air and healthier lungs. Energy produced locally from the sun avoids the importation of fuels from abroad, keeping wealth local, reducing competition and conflict over scarce resources and contributing to peace. Every gallon of diesel displaced by solar keeps 22 pounds of CO2 from joining the atmosphere (EPA Emission Facts, 2005) and slows the rate of global warming. By installing 3 EJ of CST for process heat by 2050, we will avoid 230,000 megatons of CO2 (compared to using diesel). (Mason)

It’s clear that in today’s modern world solar energy offers immense potential benefit to society. However, in order for this benefit to be wrought, there needs to be a push from the public and from professionals around the globe to increase the use and development of solar energy in order to reap the potential benefits it offers, as so clearly outlined in the excerpt above. It is so important that we, as the world population, start to implement this today, so we can have a better tomorrow.

Solar energy is important to take advantage of because it’s renewable and hypothetically endless. Solar energy comes directly from the sun, through the solar panel system, and into one's home for use as electricity. The only water needed for the system is that used to wash the reflectors. Renewable energy means that the world is never going to run out of this energy source, as the sun will always shine and the panels will always take advantage of this thermal energy. The switch to renewable energy sources is necessary, and it’s happening. For example, “Coal and gas-fired electricity generation last year drew less than half the record investment made in solar, wind and other renewables capacity - one of several important firsts for green energy announced today in a UN-backed report.” (Renewable).

The world view is changing to account for the importance of transitioning to renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydroelectricity and more. These energy sources don’t run out, save money, and save the environment, as shown by the estimated 1.5 gigatons of CO2 emissions prevented in 2015 from wind and solar. (Renewable). Unlike coal, natural gas, and other nonrenewable resources, solar energy is in unlimited supply, because the sun is always shining. It’s clear that solar energy is more advanced than ever before and in need of widespread implementation.

Opponents of solar energy argue that there are too many drawbacks and setbacks to using solar energy. For example, in an article from the Los Angeles Times called “Solar Power’s Outlook Not Too Sunny”, the author points out how in the Obama solar initiative in the Southwest desert, of the 360+ solar plants that were supposed to be federally funded and built, only twenty are on track to be finished currently. Opponents cite many factors that make this difficult, including a tight economy that makes obtaining financing difficult, difficulty negotiating over large utilities, and the fact that the federal government has not said whether it will continue to offer the same size tax credits for use of solar energy (Solar’s).

While these are valid concerns, these are roadblocks that come with an idea that is still controversial and not widely accepted. In order for solar power to be incorporated smoothly into the country, it will require strong support from the public, federal government, and scientific professionals worldwide. Solar panels have been modernized and developed more heavily than ever before, and they are more cost effective and efficient than ever anticipated. The problem is not in the technology, it’s in pushing through the small roadblocks that any new idea that lacks support encounters. In order for solar to become mainstreamed, solar advocated and those in favor of a greener world globally need to speak up and give what they can towards the cause.

In conclusion, solar energy is a necessary part of the world’s future because it’s recents developments have made it cheaper and more efficient than ever before, on top of saving users money, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and it’s being in unlimited, renewable supply.

Let me know what you guys think!

Dear Connor I am interested

Submitted by avillanueva on Wed, 2016-06-08 08:21.

Dear Connor

I am interested in your post "Solar’s Future (Rough Draft of Argumentative Paper on Solar Energy)". Because I also had questions about hydro energy.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "Because the sun provides energy predictably and for free, no energy source offers a more stable price." this stood out to me because to convert to hydro energy it also cost a lot of money.

Another sentence that I like was "It’s clear that in today’s modern world solar energy offers immense potential benefit to society." This stood out to me because everyone should convert to solar energy.

I do agree with you when you say that solar energy will be beneficial to society.

Thank for your writing! I look forward to seeing what you write next about solar energy.