A Running Fluke

by: Rosie
What I'm good at

I've been running cross country and track since freshmen year.  Since then I have done around 10 cross country races every season. My best time is still 22 minutes 30 seconds. I haven't improved since sophomore year. I've plateaued. 

"You need to constantly challenge your muscles to get results," says running coach Sam Murphy, coauthor of Running Well." runnersworld.com

This is both mentally and physically exhausting. I do all the workouts, but I'm not seeing any improvement. And this definately doesn't inspire me to run more. Which is so frustrating because, at this point in my running career, I don't know what will make me faster. I want all of the intervals, tempo workouts, hill repeats, miles, and core to pay off.  I may be competitive, but that athletic drive is not the only thing getting me across the finish line. So, how can I get faster? What do I need to change about my workouts, my diet, or my daily routine to become a better athlete and ultimately a better runner? Unfortunately there is no clear cut answer to this question. And what works for some athletes might not work for me because I've seen some of the great runners Judge has had. I run with more than a few of them. What will it take to get me to that level?

But that's what makes this sport so different from others.  You cannot measure your success in this sport through wins or losses of a team. It's all up to you. How far can you push yourself for a better time, better place? Cross country is not about beating another team, but beating the course, the time, and challenging yourself. It has been one of the hardest and frustrating experiences of my life, but the fact that I love the team keeps me coming back. So, now I need to figure out a way to love running again, and not be afraid of making mistakes. 

as runners we all have bad days. As running coach Jack Daniels has been quoted as saying, “there’s no such thing as a good run that is fluke. But you can have fluke bad runs.” What he means by that is that you can only run as well as your capabilities, but everyone can have an off-day. "Running Advice and News"

Rosie, I enjoyed reading

Submitted by laurawatson9 on Sun, 2009-09-13 12:37.

Rosie,

I enjoyed reading your post "A Running Fluke" because I went through the same thing as you did.  However, I approached my situation differently than you.  Instead of saying 'I need to find out why I love running', I said 'I quit.'  Now, in my senior year it is a little late to start running again on the team.  I think why I quit was I didn't love running for the competition.  I loved it because of the friends I made and the way it made me feel.  It was really easy to relate to your post and it is really cool that you have stuck with it, no matter how frustrating it is.

You will find your stride again, and I will be there cheering you on! 

Thanks Rosie