Sexual Assault

by: Emalooly

In doing my research on sexual assault and its effects, some of the most interesting things I have learned so far revolve around technicalities. According tofindlaw.com, while sexual assault is illegal in all states, the definition of sexual assault can vary, and some states do not consider sexual assault by a spouse to be a crime. Also, different states punish assault in different ways, with some offering lesser convictions for assault that stops short of rape.

Additionally, I continued to find research and evidence that points towards the misconceptions and social acceptance of assault. The Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violencepublished an article about the misconceptions still surrounding domestic violence. Many people still blame the victim, pointing to their behavior or dress as provoking the assault. One study I looked at saw that friends of an offender often approved of their actions.

Agreement

Submitted by Sam Stevenson on Tue, 2015-03-31 16:41.

Erin, I agree with you about the importance of facing this issue. It is so prevalent in society, but it is so often overlooked. not enough people are talking about it, but so many people have to live with the fear of rape, and that isn't fair. I too am writing my report on rape and sexual violence, so I know from research how many people have to suffer this and it makes me sick. I am really glad that you are talking about it because that's the only way to confront it and the only way to make a change. We should talk to each other and help each other find sources so we can both speak with the strongest voices possible.