Shopaholics

by: dzhapa
Have you ever felt like you need to go shopping and shopping everyday until you brought everything you wanted? Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been Shopaholics. I remember seeing this movie last year that made me wonder about people who are Shopaholics. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that being Shopaholic is really bad because it damages your living style. From what I have heard, being Shopaholic isn't something bad. It's just a way of being. You just shop and shop. It's not like if you creating a crime. I know that it's like a sickness that can't make you stop. But if it's really affecting your life then you have to give that up.

For example, I heard that Shopaholic is more like able to be out of control. Shopping does not only effect the shopper it also effects family members, spouses, loved ones and friends. Many times married over active spenders will be divorced and in debt before they can control their spending habits. Now that's just what I've heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about  is that Shopaholics do suffer a lot when it comes to money. Many Shopaholics end up having a big amount of budget. And I also know that Compulsive shopping is a serious condition that affects thousands of people's lives in America. Another fact that I know is that one major key to successfully overcoming compulsive shopping is simply taking responsibility for ones own actions. Stop denying the problem and or blaming others. Shopaholics who truly want help need to say enough is enough. Once a shopaholic realizes that shopping is just not worth the troubles that are caused from shopping excessively things get much easier. Make the decision to change and change will come.

Now I've studied my share of Philosophy, and I believe that if being a Shopaholic damages your life... then you should make a change to take that out of your life. Personally, it's funny to me how I saw this movie called "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and decided to research information about this topic. This topic wasn't that important to me back then. Until I saw the movie and when I started to research it about it. That's when I realize that this disease or sickness affects people now days.

Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on Shopaholics, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: Title: Help For Shopaholics Stop Compulsive Shopping URL:http://hubpages.com/hub/Help-For-Shopaholics-Stop-Compulsive-Shopping. This article provided a lot of information and opinions on Shopaholics. Some people felt that Shopaholics are physically emotionally and mentally hooked on shopping. A quote that  caught my eye was:
 " The first thing every doctor will tell you is that shopaholics use shopping for a sense of relief or escape from another underlying problem. Things like depression, low self esteem and anxiety can all be issues shopaholics have."  This statement surprised me because I didn't know that most Shopaholics do this because they feel depress or for some other reason.

In another article, Hamilton College-Science Technology, Are Shopaholics Really Ill: URL: http://my.hamilton.edu/Spectator/020509/SciTech/Shopaholics.html.There was this one statement that made me shake my head in agreement with the writer. It was this paragraph:
"From a psychological point of view, over-shopping is indeed "harmful." It is considered by many psychiatrists to be an obsessive-compulsive neurosis. It can be as dangerous and harmful as a drug or alcohol addiction. The debt and nervous breakdowns that result from over-shopping have been known to cause suicides. Shopaholics have gone mad about shopping that stopping them (or even attempting to stop them) from shopping is equivalent to "killing" them." This can be possible if shopping is there drug and if someone takes it away from them is like taking a piece of them out. I think that maybe being Shopaholic has it's affects and effects.

Taken from flicker. Uploaded on August 14,2009 by Perry Marco. This picture shows that movie that I saw last year called Confessions of a Shopaholic. I recommend the movie to those who love fashion and Clothes. Great movie.

I lovee to shop, shopping is

cstanley's picture
Submitted by cstanley on Tue, 2010-01-12 10:13.

I lovee to shop, shopping is like a hooby of mine. I dont shop like how girls shop but i shop as often as them, maybe more. When girls shop they go into every store not knowing what they want to get before hand. When i go to shop i know what im looking for and I rack up on it. Sometimes the price never matters when i see something i like i must get it. Polo Ralph Lauren is my favorite brand, i go to macy's and try hard as i can to buy the entire section. lol I def would call myself a shopaholic!

Good post diana ;)

Dear Diana, I like the topic

achan's picture
Submitted by achan on Tue, 2010-01-12 10:30.

Dear Diana, I like the topic you researched on. I watched "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and I think it really relates to people who are a shopaholic. I've known for a while that people become a shopaholic because it's addicting. Sometimes it's due to depression and a way to vent out your anger. Confessions of a Shopaholic is a great example for shopaholics to overcome their problem because they never get to use everything they buy and the bill gets higher and higher but there's no way to pay it because you're spending all your money shopping. I never thought much about this being an issue but I'm really wrong because it's a hard habit to kick.