A Short History Of Nerdfighteria.

by: 18keegane

There is not a single person in this generation who has not heard of the most common internet platforms. On the internet, people are able to create content and share it with billions of people with just a click of a button, giving even the quietest of people a voice. The creative platform of Youtube is no different, and many people feel as though it’s users, also known as “Youtubers” have made a big deal in their lives. Although there have been many users who have used this resource for negative attention, there have been many people making an active difference in the world. The Vlogbrothers are no different.

“Vlogbrothers” was a Youtube channel created in 2007, a mere 2 years after Youtube’s initial startup. It was run by two brothers, John and Hank Green who were very heavily inspired by classic entertainers such as ZeFrank. Hank Green is somewhat well known for his singing/songwriting career, releasing albums such as Incongruent (2014), Ellen Hardcastle (2012) and I’m So Bad at This: Live! (2009). John, as many know has written many different bestselling novels such as The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, and a very unfortunate post-apocalyptic zombie novella which is not well known at all. They launched their initial project on the website, Brotherhood 2.0 in which they were looking for a way to communicate with each other, this resulted in daily vlogging about their everyday experiences, addressing each other in each video. This project ended in 2008 when their fan community or “fandom” had begun to take off. They are in fact known as Nerdfighters, and the entire community are known as Nerdfighteria.

In current day, they have launched and partnered with many different companies and fellow Youtubers. They have launched other channels such as How To Adult, SciShow, How To Adult, and Crash Course which is used in schools across the country! Hank teaching me various science systems saves me and it is extremely amazingly comprehensive. In fact, they were in fact offered a large sum of money to take Crash Course to the small screen but they declined. They also host a website called DFTBA (Don’t Forget To Be Awesome) with fellow Youtubers such as Hannah Hart, Grace Helbig, Good Mythical Morning (Rhett and Link), Mike Aranda, and even more.

On the topic of Nerdfighteria, they are extremely diverse group of people with all different interests. They help and support the funding of many charities including The Harry Potter Alliance, This Star Won't Go Out Foundation, and Save The Children and many others. For example in current day Nerdfighters are hosting a project where they are collecting books for the less fortunate. The Vlogbrothers also host their own charity event, p4a (Project for Awesome). The money goes to an official Montana charity called The Foundation To Decrease World Suck which helps people all around the world. P4A raised over a million dollars last year, which shows how much of a powerful driving force Nerdfighteria is.

Overall the Vlogbrothers have made a very big impact of the lives of many, including myself. Whether it is making 53 jokes in 4 minutes or learning about the alarming incarceration rates in the US. The Vlogbrothers strive to make the world a more informed and loving place, from the US and beyond. I would highly suggest them to everyone and anyone who wants to learn something new. At this point it’s almost impossible to avoid seeing them, for their extreme success has launched them even inside schools and the fronts of trains in the Big Apple. In the tradition of the Vlogbrothers, “As they say in my hometown, Don’t Forget To Be Awesome! Hank, I’ll see you on Friday”.

Bibliography:
Castellini, Brianna. "Don’t Forget To Be Awesome: An In-Depth Exploration of Nerdfighteria." Interface: The Journal of Education, Community and Values 13.int 13 (2013).
"The Vlogbrothers’ Project For Awesome Raises Over $1.2 Million To Decrease Worldsuck." Tubefilter RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2015.
"John Green Fandom 101: Nerdfighters, Vlogbrothers, and Pizza." The Daily Dot. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2015.

Dear 18keegane, I really

20rajua's picture
Submitted by 20rajua on Sun, 2015-04-26 17:28.

Dear 18keegane,

I really liked your article on Youtubers, specifically Hank and John Green. Personally, this article really opened my eyes to how much of an impact Youtubers such as Nerdfighteria have on the real world. I do watch Youtube once in a while, whether it’s Game Theory or Crash Course, but I honestly was totally unaware of how much money groups like Nerdfighteria raise and give to charities. In our school (BSGE), our humanities teacher, Mr. Lakhaney, shows us some of the Crash Course videos in class and also recommends some of them to watch at home. However, I never knew how broadly Crash Course is viewed throughout the United States and how many people actually learn from it.

A bunch of other Youtubers such as PewDiePie have raised money for charities like Charity: Water and the World Wildlife Fund [Harling 1]. Nerdfighteria was a driving force of these events, starting these fundraisers in 2007 [Harling 1]. However, there are many more YouTubers who followed after. Also, many YouTubers such as MatPat have been impacted from their channels on YouTube. He was first needing of a job, but couldn't get one until after he started the series, Game Theory. He says that after the show got a lot of success, he was able to put that on his resume, saying how he had incorporated math and science with theater. I would agree with your article, for YouTube may seem like just a media streaming site, but really could do much more.

Bibliography:

Jordan Harling. "Ways YouTube celebrities have raised money for charities". Reason Digital. 29 August 2013. 26 April 2015.