Should athletes have to go to school?

by: nworba

Should superstar athletes have to go to school? With spring sports starting, many high school student athletes are swamped with practice, games, school, and a social life. But what if your talent was noticed at a young age and you went to a school where you would only focus on your sport. You could produce outstanding athletes and change the nature of the game. If not this, then should student athletes be given extensions on their homework? Overall, what are your thoughts on schooling for student athletes?

I think it is an interesting

BryceK18's picture
Submitted by BryceK18 on Thu, 2015-03-12 18:22.

I think it is an interesting idea, but I am not sure it would really work. Though athletics are very demanding, education in other subjects is also very important. My main concern would be when an athlete gets injured. Say one student has been going to this purely athletic high school for four years and is in his/her final year. Then they manage to get themselves horrendously injured and will not be able to play for a year. Taking a year off of a sport can really set someone back in performance, and compared to the other students at this school, they are simply not competitive anymore. So what now? They are not competitive in their sport, so can they study science for instance? Yes, but only if they start with freshman science, and work their way all the way up to a university level. At this athletic high school, there are no academics so they would have to start as a freshman at a normal high school. I think that would be incredibly embarrassing and humiliating.

However, if this school incorporated academics in on the side, but primarily focused on sports I think this could work. The student would still get basic academic education as a backup, but they could still practice their sport more than most.

Extensions on their homework might work, but then a student might fall behind in a subject, so they would have to make sure they are caught up at the beginning of every week, or something along those lines.

I agree, it would be

Submitted by nworba on Fri, 2015-03-13 11:59.

I agree, it would be incredibly humiliating to take a freshman class as a senior. I like your idea that a basic education is needed.

Throwing aside academics in

landayc18's picture
Submitted by landayc18 on Fri, 2015-03-13 12:04.

Throwing aside academics in favor of physical regime presents a plethora of interesting and absolutely fascinating ethics and future thinking issues.

First, these students will be dedicating their future to sports. That means that they will not learn about the Nazis or the French Revolution. Instead, they will learn to feed themselves protein shakes, observe the optimal form of kicking a ball, and an optimal workout plan.
Anyone who goes to one of these... Institutions will be sacrificing their education in favor of a favorable muscle mass. These people will be unable to debate or argue as they will not be knowledgeable. They will not read and they will not participate in fine arts. They will be... Faceless athletes.

Bringing this forward, what happens at retirement? These people will not be able to be famous when they're 40 and 50. A society with physical focus will immediately cast these jocks out of the spotlight and limelight. What then? They have no working skills. They have dedicated their existence to sport- they are not the people you would hire to work for you. These people become undesirable, and then what? Their bank runs dry and they ask society for help. They are helpless after spending the first half of their life gaining debilitating concussions.

And what of the wishes of the so-called "students" at these facilities? Do they want to dedicate their life to a temporary fame, or are they pushed into it by their parents? No one should ever be cast out from a young age for special training for anything but gifts of the mind. Anything else simply serves to isolate and alienate these people from our society.

Schooling should be kept

ajusa's picture
Submitted by ajusa on Fri, 2015-03-13 09:30.

I think that athletes should be mandated to go to school because you can't be an athlete forever. Eventually, your body cannot keep up with the demands of the game. Schooling lasts a lifetime, and you can be guaranteed a job. For the really gifted player, however, school can be secondary. They should just learn about an occupation. That way, they are guaranteed a job, and they can play.

I like your idea that school

Submitted by nworba on Fri, 2015-03-13 12:00.

I like your idea that school should be secondary.

I think they do this in

wilsont18's picture
Submitted by wilsont18 on Fri, 2015-03-13 09:37.

I think they do this in Europe with soccer players. They put kids in academies and have them do all the normal education but also have a ton soccer getting played.

Homework extensions would make sense because after playing any sport you probably don't want to do 2 hours of homework. Student athletes tend to get help from schools and teachers so it's really unbalanced. Colleges get tutors for athletes and teachers give them better grades than they deserve just so they can throw a football.

I think they do have

Submitted by nworba on Fri, 2015-03-13 12:01.

I think they do have academies in Europe that do this for soccer.

I think they do this in

wilsont18's picture