Should I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Be Taught in Schools?

Censorship

Caged Bird was nominated for a National Book Award in 1970 and remained on The New York Times bestseller list for nearly three years. It has been used in educational settings from high schools to universities, and celebrated for its elegant prose and for creating new literary avenues for the American memoir.

Nevertheless, since 1983, schools throughout the United States have tried to ban I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. According to the National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC), parents and schools have objected to: the book's depictions of:
lesbian relationships
premarital sex
cohabitation
life in segregated Arkansas
violence.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings has been banned for its:
honest portrayal of rape
use of language
exploration of the ugly reality of racism in America
recounting of the circumstances of Angelou's own teen pregnancy
irreverent at religion and the church

The Alabama State Textbook Committee accused it of encouraging "bitterness and hatred toward white people."

Caged Bird appeared third on the American Library Association (ALA) list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–2000, sixth on the ALA's 2000–2009 list, and is one of the ten books most frequently banned from high school libraries and classrooms.

What do you think? Having read some of the book, do you think it should be banned?

I don't think that this book

Submitted by Alejandro L on Mon, 2013-12-02 11:22.

I don't think that this book should be banned. this book is an auto biography

I think that 'I Know Why the

Submitted by Kadiatou on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:20.

I think that 'I Know Why the Caged Birds Sings' should not be banned from school.

The Alabama State Textbook believes that it encourages "bitterness and hatred towards white people."

On page 189, a white doctor says to Maya Angelou's grandmother, "Annie, my policy is I'd rather stick my hand in a dog's mouth than in a nigger's." Everyday, all around the world their is racism, so there is nothing to hide.

What do you think? Having

Submitted by Auva on Mon, 2013-12-02 11:22.

The Caged Bird should be allowed, even though it can be graphic and even for some disturbing, it is reality. In my opinion i dont think it is right to keep children in a classroom and make them learn the things that wont open up their minds and think about real life issues like rape and life strugels that people dealt with or deal with at this moment because it helps them in life to learn about other peoples expiernces. Also their is nothing wrong with the fact that their is "lesbianism" because if they say that is wrong then they are making the kids who are homosexual feel bad about themselves and the brain wash other children feeling like homosexuality is a bad thing and it is wrong wich that is no true.

Although i dont think it

Submitted by Sahara on Mon, 2013-12-02 11:22.

Although i dont think it should of been banned, I do think some of the language was innapropreat but it went along with the story line so i wasnt offended at all, but im sure other people might have been. For example in " i know why ther cage bird sings" she called a white person " white trash". To be honest that didnt offend me, but i wont be surprized if a cacasion person read it and got offended.

argument

Submitted by Auva on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:22.

What do you think? Having read some of the book, do you think it should be banned, or allowed? In my opinion i think that the book The Caged bird should be allowed, even though it can be graphic and even for some disturbing, it is reality. In my opinion i dont think it is right to keep children in a classroom and make them learn the things that wont open up their minds and think about real life issues like rape and life strugels that people dealt with or deal with at this moment because it helps them in life to learn about other peoples expiernces.

In fact, Angelou's portrayal of child rape could actually help a child protect themselves from a similar situation. Maya is love-starved. In Chapter 11, when mr. Freenam

In addition, there is nothing wrong with the fact that their is "lesbianism" because if they say that is wrong then they are making the kids who are homosexual feel bad about themselves and the brain wash other children feeling like homosexuality is a bad thing and it is wrong wich that is no true.

Although i dont think it

Although i dont think it

Although i dont think it

Although i dont think it

argument

Submitted by Auva on Mon, 2013-12-02 11:23.

What do you think? Having read some of the book, do you think it should be banned, or allowed? In my opinion i think that the book The Caged bird should be allowed, even though it can be graphic and even for some disturbing, it is reality. In my opinion i dont think it is right to keep children in a classroom and make them learn the things that wont open up their minds and think about real life issues like rape and life strugels that people dealt with or deal with at this moment because it helps them in life to learn about other peoples expiernces. Also their is nothing wrong with the fact that their is "lesbianism" because if they say that is wrong then they are making the kids who are homosexual feel bad about themselves and the brain wash other children feeling like homosexuality is a bad thing and it is wrong wich that is no true.

argument

argument

argument

I definitely Think This hold

Submitted by RosemarieEBCHS on Mon, 2013-12-02 12:22.

I definitely Think This should be taught in school . It may be racist but it speaks up on behalf of all those who have been through a struggle. It explains the tragic emotion one is feeling but sep thought of what anyone can deal with

Although i dont think it

Submitted by Sahara on Mon, 2013-12-02 11:23.

It should not be banned

Submitted by Jonathan M on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:16.

This book Should not be banned because it tells us how harsh istory was or back in othe years before how people with color was treated and brutaly beaten and rapist are let loose because they are white. It may have harsh language but its what society is like it tells us the truth but its good they say bad words because its not like back in the days they didn't use bad language. On page 77-78 maya has been raped , thats one thing "white" would get away with a crime.

This book should not banned because it lets us the students see the experience or how the days of the depression and all the racist action was done toward the dark skin ''niggas''
. Such as them being raped , killed , beaten up , jumped and if the cop catches them they would go to court but be left scott free. The judge is white and is in the days of racism, So of-course the judge will let them go just like in the book on page 79-80. Yes , they may have curse (bad) language but most of us who are reading the book are also learning about it and we all hear these words said by every person , even ourself but yet we are mature to handle it so this is why it shouldn't be banned!.

What Do I Think

Submitted by Fabian on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:12.

I honestly think that "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" should be censored, because is too strong and Do we really need Maya's life? Do we really need how our country was bad with AfricanAmerican people? I don't think so.

The hole book is really racist, in all ways, in almost all pages there is something racist, against white or black, like us, teenagers, we don't really need to know that, If a student is very into learning that, they would read on their own, but not like a class book.

What Do I Think

Submitted by Fabian on Tue, 2013-12-03 15:59.

Like in page 49 it said: "People in Stamps used to say that he whites in our town were so prejudiced that a Negro couldn't buy vanilla ice cream." thats really racist.

And in page 160 it said: "I would put my hands in a dogs mouth, before than a nigga" thats racist too.

agree

Submitted by Jonathan M on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:13.

Good job

I don't think that it should

Submitted by Emily R on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:14.

I don't think that it should be ban because is a book that is talking about about the real life like of what happens to Maya and if is about sex or violence or teen pregnancy I still don't think it should ban because it what happens in real life, we can't hide that from certain people because that show what happened in her life too.

I don't think that it should

i know why the cage bird sings

Submitted by E-Ray on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:14.

It should be banned because it talks about rape and life in racist Arkansas. Some parents might not want their children to read this book but they might not even know they're children are reading it an talking about this stuff. I think this book should be allowed in schools but with parent permission.

In page 189 it talks about how the dentist doesnt want to touch her mouth because she was black. This shows how white people were during the times of segregation and maybe some parents don't want they're children to know about this or have they're child read the sentence "Annie my policy is i rather stick my dogs mouth than in a niggers." (Angelou, 189).

In page 78 they talk about maya getting raped and maybe some kids dont even know what rape is.

To be Banned or Not

griblake's picture
Submitted by griblake on Sun, 2013-12-08 12:46.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is;In page 78 they talk about Maya getting raped and maybe some kids don't even know what rape is? i am not sure what your age is but in order to function in the world one must be aware of all of the inequities that happen in society.

I believe that Maya's autobiography should not be banned in schools but it should be read with an age appropriate audience. Also if the book is read as a part of a humanities class it can be introduced into social studies so that there it can be a deeper understanding of the time and era that Maya grew up.

I don't think that it should

I believe that I know why the

Submitted by Emely on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:16.

I believe that I know why the Caged Bird Sings should not be considered a banned book. The book may contain innapproiate material in it, but it shows the harsh reality of not only America, but of the world. Even though others may not decide to read the book because of its explicit detail of America during the Jim Crow era, pre- martial sex, rape, and language, doesn't necessarily mean that the book is not worth discussing about.
In the book the author experiences racist when the dentist doesn't want to offer her support when she has a tooth ache. On page 188, the dentist states,"Annie you know I don't treat nigra colored people." This is a direct statement, from the dentist himself, which illustrates the reality of racist in the south. This is not the only problem many seemed to face with the book.
Towards the end of the book, Maya finds out she is pregnant

I believe that I know why the

Submitted by Emely on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:17.

I believe that I know why the Caged Bird Sings should not be considered a banned. The book may contain innapproiate material in it, but it shows the harsh reality of not only America, but of the world. Even though others may not decide to read the book because of its explicity

I Know Why the Caged Bird by

Submitted by Vanessa on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:16.

I Know Why the Caged Bird by Maya Angelou, is a book banned in schools. I think this book shouldn't be banned, people should learn about the real world. Violence, rape, pre-martial sex are real life situations that happen around us. One should be aware about this and take action. In chapter 21, Bailey has sex, which portrays his coming of age. For example, page 147, "There he initiated girls into the mysteries of sex." On the one hand, this book has material that parents might be concern about. On the other hand, people should know that young people are curious about sex. Others may have different opinions and views.
According to page 78," The act of rape of an eight-year-old is a matter of the needle giving because the camel can't." Angelou illustrates her rape in abundantly detail, which can concern parents. Parents may not like to have their children to read this and find that the description of the rape is to graphic.

I dont think " I know why the

Submitted by Justin K on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:17.

I dont think " I know why the caged bird sings" should be banned because kids are exposed to much worse things than this book. Yes, Angelou's book does have profanity.

I dont think " I know why the

Submitted by Justin K on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:15.

I dont think " I know why the caged bird sings" should be banned because kids are exposed to much worse things than this book. Yes, Angelou's book does have profanity. In chapter 8 page 49 the word "niggerr" was used in a derogatory

I dont think " I know why the

I dont think " I know why the

I dont think " I know why the

I dont think " I know why the

I dont think " I know why the

I dont think " I know why the

Respond from Batista cranted, angeloa does use foul lauange or

Submitted by Joana on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:15.

My honest opionon about the book being baned in some places after its best seller , and has been around for a few year, Is really unnecessary what to banned the book because theres more books out in the world and tv shows like 16 and pregent or teen mom that includes more violence and scary thought , events more then this book. Maybe is just a personal opinion or somone with power wanted to illminate the book slowly. For example page 78 experiments with rape. It just doesnt have a perversive sence of it, it says the true, the emotions, feelings, surroundings , worries. "I hesitated my waist. Pull down your drawers ." I hesitated for two reasons : He was holding me to tight to move, and I was sure any minute my mother and Bailey or the green hornet would bust in the door and save me.
Perfect example to show that Maya was describing what was going on , and she was having a 1 to 1 moment , which is when you talk to your self . She was hoping some one would come to help her out. She was not comfortable with Mr. Freeman touching her and telling her what to do with her clothing. Some people can relate to things like this. Is not just Maya experiencing this by her self. People all over the world experience rape unfortunately.

My whole life I have heard is said that " To gain respect you must give respect to people, you cant just curse a person out or spit at them and expect them to Kiss your ass/behind.
you and your surroundings should be equal 100% of the time . Do to page 192 " Dentist Lincoln got right uppity. Said he'd rather put his hand in a dog's mouth then a negros"
This is so disappointing that the United States, has the Word United in it and we cant even get alone like the U.S claims . United means stick together. How we went and still go around critiquing other people for the way their color skin looks. So unprofessional and judgmental . I had a dog named Joanita and every body knows I love her to death ,but I would never prefer to put my hand in her mouth then inject it in a black persons mouth. Just because is colored differently doesn't mean is any less then anyone. We all humans and being different races ,color, weight and size is what makes life's wonderful colors. The advanced we humans have of saying all over the world people are completely different then others. It would be boring to look the same over and over again. Theres nothing wrong with black people. As a matter of fact some black people are more wealthier compared to light skin people. Beyonce and Jay-z are both black and Billionaires. Nicki Minaj is Trinidadian She was born pour and look at her now , sitting on top of her stacks , giving money to the poor like money came from trees.

I think that the book I know

Submitted by Jailene C on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:17.

I think that the book I know why The Caged Birds sing by Maya Angelou shouldn't be banned because i think that no one in this world should judge Maya Angelou Life. The book has Violence, Rape, Teen Pregnancy and segration but no one should judge her because that is what she been through. Granted Angelou does show Rape, A quote from the book is " I started to back away. I didn't want to touch that mushy hard thing again, and i didn't need him to hold me anymore. He grabbed my arm an pulled me between his legs. His face was still and looked kind, but he didn't smile or blink.

I think that the book I know

Submitted by Jailene C on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:17.

I think that the book I know why The Caged Birds sing by Maya Angelou shouldn't be banned because no one in this world should judge Maya Angelou's life. The book has Violence, Rape, Teen Pregnancy and segration but no one should judge her because that is what she been through. Granted, Angelou's portrayal of her rape can leave a reader feeling distressed. She descibes it in the book when she says " I started to back away. I didn't want to touch that mushy hard thing again, and i didn't need him to hold me anymore. He grabbed my arm an pulled me between his legs. His face was still and looked kind, but he didn't smile or blink. Nothing. He did nothing ,expect reach his left hand around to turn on the radio without even looking at it. Over the noise of music and static , he said " Now, this ain't gonna hurt you much. You liked it before didn't you?" I didn't admit that i had in fact liked his holding me or that I had liked his smell or the hard heart-beating, so i said nothing. And his face became like the face of one of those mean natives the phantom was always having to beat up... Then there was the pain. A breaking and enetering when even the senses are torn apart. The act of rape on an eight-year old body is a matter of the needle giving because the camel cant." ( Angelou, page 77 )This paragraph from this story shows that this book had something to do with rape to a young little girl and how she feels inside.
On the other hand there is also Segreation going on in the book too. Maya Portrayal would leave a reader feeling amazed because of what was going on the past and how the blacks and white were being seperated. Maya Shows this when in the book she says" I dont remember much of the trip, but after we reached the segerated part of the journey, things must have looked up. Negro passengers, who always traveled with loaded lunch boxes, felt sorry for " the poor little motherless darlings" and piled us with cold fried chicken and potato salad ( page 5 )

this book shouldnt be banned

Submitted by Dakota on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:17.

I think this book shouldn't be banned from high schools because this book is a very educational and important book. For high schoolers this can be the lives that they could be going through. Also this is real life, this actually happened and this can help kids in the future of their lives.

i believe this book should

Shona's picture
Submitted by Shona on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:17.

i believe this book should not be banned. i believe this because the book speaks the raw truth and its important for there to be some truth in our education and not just a censored text book education. although it covers some topics that may be inappropriate
its something we will have to deal with in the real world just like maya angalou did.

lack of punctuation

Submitted by Dwell on Tue, 2013-12-03 15:47.

Shona you need to capitalize the I. Also you need to capitalize words in start of your new sentence.

Swell, thank you for your

Shona's picture
Submitted by Shona on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:16.

Dwell, thank you for your input but you should fix your submission to be grammatically correct. Worry about yourself, thankssss :))))

i believe this book should

Shona's picture

i believe this book should not be banned

Shona's picture
Submitted by Shona on Tue, 2013-12-03 15:31.

I believe this book should not be banned. I believe this because the book speaks the raw truth and its important for there to be some truth in our education and not just a censored text book education. although it covers some topics that may be inappropriate like rape (78) or foul language (181), its something we will have to deal with in the real world just like maya angalou did.

i think this book should and

Submitted by Naomi on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:18.

i think this book should and shouldn't be banned because it teaches how colored people lived back in 1969. The violence that happend and what people got into back then (189) it shows you what colored people had to deal with. Then i have another side to me that is saying this book should really be banned because it exposes a young girl (Maya Angelou) getting raped (78) for some people that is pretty intense to see such a young person get taken advantage of. i remember when my uncle was reading this he couldn't even finish reading it up to that scene in the book because it was very uncomfortable

No, This book should not be

Submitted by Charlene on Mon, 2013-12-02 16:18.

No, This book should not be banned. Maya Angelou Wrote I know Why The Caged Bird Sings and it was listed as a memoir. It talks about her personal life that has been traumatizing, inspiring and so on. Maya Angelou was strong at the time of her rape In Chapter 12 page 79 her raper sends her of to the library. To keep her family from harm she just goes, as she is walking she is not seeing straight. she has to count as she walk

no because its good life lesson

Submitted by Dwell on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:09.

Honestly why should we ban this book? I feel like this book can prevent racism. Next generation should know racism and how bad it is and, of course shouldn't think about starting new laws and acts that hurt other race. This is the real world in chapter 12 she got raped and she doesn't know how serious it is and kids should learn how traumatizing and, just how you should stay away from people like that rapist.

no because its good life lesson

Submitted by Dwell on Mon, 2013-12-02 19:20.

Honestly why should we ban this book I feel like this book can prevent racism. Next generation should know racism and it is bad and of course shouldn't think about starting new laws and acts that hurt other race. This is real world in chapter 12 she got raped and she doesn't know how serious it is and kids should learn how traumatizing and just how you should stay people like that rapist.

lack of punctuation and

Shona's picture
Submitted by Shona on Tue, 2013-12-03 15:34.

lack of punctuation and grammatical errors, but i agree

lack of punctuation and

Shona's picture

IKWTCBS Should not be banned

Submitted by Gio on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:16.

This book in my opinion is taken as an autobiography and it is part of a part in time where racism was strongly encouraged. People of this generation should be taught about these situations. For example in the book on page 189 Maya Angelou portrays the white dentist as an ignorant racist man who says " Annie, my policy is I'd rather stick my hand in a dog's mouth than in nigger's"

i think this book should and

i think this book should and

Submitted by Naomi on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:16.

i think this book should and shouldn't be banned because it teaches how colored people lived back in 1969. The violence that happend and what people got into back then it shows you what colored people had to deal with especially the way colored people were treated " I wouldn't press on you like this for myself but i cant take No. Not for my grand baby. when you come borrow my money you didn't have to beg. you asked me, and i lent it. Now, it wasn't my policy. i aint no moneylender, but you stood to lose this building and i tried to help you out." Its been paid, and raising your voice wont make change my mind. My policy ..." He let go of the door and stepped nearer momma. The three of us were crowded on the small landing. " Annie, my policy is Id rather stick my hand in a dogs mouth than in a niggers" (189). I have another side to me that is saying this book should really be banned because it exposes a young girl (Maya Angelou) getting raped (78) for some people that is pretty intense to see such a young person get taken advantage of. i remember when my uncle was reading this he couldn't even finish reading it up to that scene in the book because it was very uncomfortable

I know why the caged bird

Submitted by Anthony M on Wed, 2013-12-04 12:38.

American today tend to believe that the memoir, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou should be banned because of the use of language, violence, and life in segregated Arkansas. Maya Angelou overlooks what I consider an important point about how society was like in the South where the story takes place.
In this book, there are some violent stuff that kids shouldn't be reading because the scene of this book is too violent and its not good for young readers to read. There is one scene in the book where there is an act of violence. Maya Angelou insists " Uncle Ira said to my mother, Here, Bibbi. Here's this nigger Patterson. Come over here and beat his ass." (Angelou,p.66). The use of language is not appropriate for anyone to use in schools and in this country. In today society, we see violence every where around the cities in the US. It makes other cities look bad just like the city of St. Louis in Maya Angelou story where thugs beat up on people, mugged them, rapes on women and murder on other people.
A second way the book should be banned in school is the use of language. We don't use that same language in school and especially to offends on other people. In Maya Angelou story she says in her writing the word Negro or Nigger to refer to the black people. In I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou writes, "People in Stamps used to say that the whites in our town were so prejudiced that negro couldn't buy vanilla ice cream."(Angelou, p.49). This is very offensive to the black people because of the use of the word "Negro". In today society, we refer black people as either African Americans or West Indies.
Another way that this book should be banned is the segregation in the life of Arkansas. During Maya Angelou time there was the segregation in the South where many African American were hurt by the Jim Crow laws. "A light shade had been pulled down between the Black community and all things white, but one could see through it enough to develop a fear-admiration contempt for the white "things"-white folks car and white glistening houses and their children and their women."(Angelou, p.49) It makes the south look bad because the black people and white people would not share things together instead they were both separated.
On the other hand, most people think that Maya Angelou should not be banned because Maya Angelou argues in her story the lifestyles that she went through growing up in the South. She argues that in the South black people were separated from the whites , and I agree with her because of the hard laws that African American was put on by the white people in the South. In recent discussions of segregation has been a controversial issue has been whether this book should be banned off the shelf in the South. On the other hand, other argues that the history about the south in the United States should tell the bad history that was happening to the African American in the South.

Yes the book should be banned

Submitted by Karey on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:17.

Yes the book should be banned because on page 147, they show how Bailey has pre-marital sex with girl named Joyce. He had this play house where he would take girls to play "house". He will have Maya as a look out so he wouldn't get caught having sex with them.

I don't think this book

Submitted by Elias on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:16.

I don't think this book should be banned. Censoring any book doesn't make any sense. The book was about things that really happened, so it doesn't make sense to ban what really happened. Maya Angelo was telling a story about her life, and the way things happened, and she couldn't have changed it if even if she wanted to.

I don't think this book

Submitted by Elias on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:17.

I don't think this book should be banned. Censoring any book doesn't make any sense. The book was about things that really happened, so it doesn't make sense to ban what really happened. Maya Angelo was telling a story about her life, and the way things happened, and she couldn't have changed it if even if she wanted to. The people who read this book probably have heard the things in this book before, so it's not like little kids are going to be reading it.

I do not think that I Know

Submitted by Ashanti on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:16.

I do not think that I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings should be baned because most of its readers are mature enough to know about most of the situations going on in the book. Facts Or Nah?

Facts.

Submitted by Elias on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:18.

Facts.

Facts.

Facts.

Facts

Submitted by Karey on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:18.

Facts

factzzzz

Submitted by Sahara on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:21.

factzzzz

I do not think that I Know

FACTS THO!!

Submitted by Sophia L on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:18.

FACTS THO!!

I think that this book should

Submitted by Sophia L on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:17.

I think that this book should be taught in schools because it can be relatable to students in other schools.

I think that this book should

Should 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings' be banned

Submitted by Tynaise on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:21.

The book i know why the caged bird sings should be banned from schools. I

I dont think that I know why

Submitted by Kathryn on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:21.

I dont think that I know why the Caged Bird Sings should be banned because it is a very good book and it has very good reviews.
even though there is negative language and a lot of violence and sex, this book is a good read.

I dont think that I know why

i Know Why the Caged Bird Sings should not be banned

Submitted by Julia S on Tue, 2013-12-03 18:17.

I think that I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings should not be banned, despite its depictions of lesbianism, rape, racism, violence, etc. Most of the arguments against I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings are valid; for example, on page 49, she gives the reader a taste of the racism she grew up with. "People in Stamps used to say that he whites in our town were so prejudiced that a Negro couldn't buy vanilla ice cream." I think that, while certain parts of this book can be very graphic and intense, it is nothing new to high schoolers. Many young adults have had their own experiences that are equally painful, and can relate.

I Know Why The Caged Bird

Submitted by Jessica K on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:22.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou should not be banned. I think that most people in school would be mature enough to read this book. You could actually learn a few important things in this book that connects to your life. Banning this book would not give any sense to teenagers, because of how some of them act nowadays.

What do you think? Having

Alfousseny's picture
Submitted by Alfousseny on Tue, 2013-12-03 11:22.

What do you think? Having read some of the book, do you think it should be banned, or allowed? In my opinion i think that the book The Caged bird should be allowed, even though it can be graphic and even for some disturbing, it is reality, and it was her lifestyle. This book shouldn't be banned, but if you dont like it then simply dont read it. It can have graphic language. For example, in Stamps, Arkansas, a white man says "Don't

why should i know why the caged bird sings

Submitted by Maegan on Tue, 2013-12-03 15:52.

This book should be banned in schools because though this book was written so people can be informed on somethings that happened a while back they are somethings that maybe a little difficult to understand depending on the person or students maturity. They maybe some opinons made on religion and to so students it can be offensive. For example according to page 147 it describes pre marital sex '' there he initiated girls into the mysteries of sex.one by one, he took the impressed the curious ''.
the last example would be on page 77 that talks about honest portrayal of rape it says ''
ritie come here. no sir mr freeman. i started to back away i didn't want to touch that mushy hard ting again, and i didn't need him to hold me any more. he grabbed my arm and puled me beween his legs. he did nothing except reach his left hand turn the radio without even looking at it. now this ain't gonna hurt you much you liked it before. thats why it should be band

why should it not be banned

Submitted by Angelica B on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:07.

i dont really care if it should be banned or not . I mean it won't affect us or anything. But if I had to decide then i will say it shouldnt even if it has sexual things and all that because there is nothing wrong with that. On page 77 , it talks about her getting raped and it also describes what happen but i think that theres nothing wrong with the author describing it because its her book and she has every right to..

why should it not be banned

Submitted by Angelica B on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:06.

Shouldn't be banned

Submitted by Jarianny on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:08.

I honestly think that the book shouldn't be banned because it's what happened, it's about things that went on and are still happening. People are less afraid of exposing kids to the horrors of rape, than they are of premarital sex, and same sex relationships, it's a bit pathetic. It's one thing to want to protect kids, because that's understandable, it's scary to think of a child loosing their innocence, but there are things that have to be known, and these are unfortunately one of those things.

Shouldn't be banned

No, This book should not be

Submitted by Charlene on Tue, 2013-12-03 16:17.

No, This book should not be banned. Maya Angelou Wrote I know Why The Caged Bird Sings and it was listed as a memoir. It talks about her personal life that has been traumatizing, inspiring and so on. Maya Angelou was strong at the time of her rape In Chapter 12 page 79 her raper sends her of to the library. To keep her family from harm she just goes, as she is walking she is not seeing straight she has to count as she walk. She doesnt tell no one and is very sick but no one knows the real reason. But when her bother finds her underwear that has falling from her bed it is no secret. She was strong enough to not tell on her rapest and getting justice. She was strong when she was in court. I can imaging her pain of standing infront of someone that has inflicted pain on her. This can be a message to anyone who has been in this situation girl, boy, men, or women to be strong. Also suicide is not the best result to deal with this. During a time of rape some people need upport and people who has not been in this situation can understand how others feel and can expect the affects of rape on a person close to you. Also you have a clue of what to do.Another reason why this book should not be banned is because, it talks about the type of segregation that went on in the south. Banding the book for that reason is nonsense. People already know that a lot of races goes on in the south still today. Maya Angelou is someone who experienced it and shared it to show

I know why the caged bird

Submitted by Imari on Wed, 2013-12-04 11:06.

I dont think that this book should be banned from schools at all. I find it unnecessary and it doesnt make any sense. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings shouldnt be banned bacause first off, it is an auto biography. Shes not writing this content just for the hell of it, shes writing her life story, so if anything it shouldnt be banned at all.

should i know why the caged bird sings be banned

Submitted by Tynaise on Wed, 2013-12-04 11:06.

I know why the caged bird sings should be banned from schools because

Submitted by Tynaise on Wed, 2013-12-04 11:07.

On page 68 she constantly

Submitted by Sahara on Thu, 2013-12-05 08:39.

On page 68 she constantly issues the n word throughout the whole paragraph. "Who's this nigger" he said. I didn't mind it because it went along with the story line. It's not like she was just using the word to use it.

Should i know why the caged bird sings be banned

Submitted by Tynaise on Thu, 2013-12-05 10:47.

The book i know why the caged bird sings i belived should be banned in schools for certain ages like high school and younger because of its inapropriate content. Even though this is Maya Angelou's story and these stories may be true but it is not exactly accurate because no one can actually remember all of these things. I dont think lots of this book is appropriate for kids cause it has rape,racism,segregation and alot more. The part where Maya is being raped/molested by her parents friend was detailed,graphic and not appropriate.

“I Know Why The Caged Bird

Submitted by Adeola on Thu, 2013-12-05 11:08.

“I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou should be allowed in classrooms because we are mature enough to read about sexual orientation, and deal with the fact that this has happened before.
Some schools ban it because it contains discrimination from whites to blacks, and bitterness and hatred towards whites and it has inappropriate scenes that may be uncomfortable to some.
However, the book should be allowed because it teaches students about something that they are ready to handle that they might face later in life.

It should not be banned

Submitted by Rachel R on Fri, 2013-12-06 16:00.

It should not be banned because even though there is premarital sex in the book, it does not encourage readers to do so. Maya only wrote about her story of rape in those chapters and she never writes that she encourages it. As for the ugly reality of racism in America, it's unfortunate but no one calls black people using the "n" word anymore. There isn't racism like it use to be, laws have changed. By law everyone is equal no matter their race, religion, culture, sex or class.

Caged Bird Sings Be Taught in Schools? (Disagree)

Submitted by 19dokicr on Mon, 2014-02-24 10:09.

I strongly disagree with this. Although I have not read this book which can make me less reliable, I don't agree. It is only a book. Reading it out loud it not expressing you opinion but reading word off of a page. I don't think that I would be offended and you shouldn't be either.

Dear Kiran, I was interested

devinejanuary21's picture
Submitted by devinejanuary21 on Thu, 2014-03-20 12:41.

Dear Kiran,
I was interested by your quote because it discussed a topic based on one of the most challenging and best written literary pieces I have ever read. I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing is a realistic novel based on someone’s actual life experiences and it teaches of many different topics. One that I liked about your post was “ I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings has been banned for its: honest portrayal of rape, use of language, ugly exploration of racism in America, Angelou’s own teen pregnancy and focusing on church values. I was interested in this because these aspects of what Angelou discusses are factual and valid information that occur in her life. The expressions and form of speaking is not a literal sense and is only used to explain her experiences and how events occurred through her perspective. This reminds me of when I read the book and I couldn’t fully understand at the time the reason as to why the class had to read it but it made more sense as I got older. The idea of reading this book was not for a negative feedback, but to educate someone about another persons life and how a specific time period and how personal experiences can benefit teens.

It should not be banned.

Submitted by 16savinone on Thu, 2014-06-05 13:17.

The book should not be banned. Not only does it highlight the ignorance and the cruel treatment of people. I think that today's youth is far more educated and prepared for these kinds of things because its no longer considered a taboo to talk about these kinds of things. Racism is far from being non-existent and teaching today's youth about this topic and the extents to which it can affect a person''s life is important.