Should Students Wear School Uniforms?

by: Keonnab

My argument is yes students should have uniforms because people get inscure and jealous of others if you wear uniforms. But, my opponent would have probably said" We should not have school uniforms because it's annoying to wear the same thing everyday for 8-9 hours on weekdays.

In Roy D'Silva's essay, "Should Students Wear Uniforms?", from www.buzzle.com/articles/should-students-have-to-wear-school-uniforms.html.

The author explains the pros and cons of students wearing uniforms. When we consider the issue of school uniforms,some might wonder should students wear school uniforms?

Roy D'Silva blog post addresses this question because we are trying to find out if uniforms are a good or bad thing.
Uniforms divides the rich and poor, so no one gets hurt

This is basically saying that people try to show off their designer clothes, and they try to make the other kids jealous and be like them. This might make one wonder should school uniforms be mandated?

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, because uniforms decrease bullying and raises school spirit, by Michelle Kouzmine, 2013, The Pros of School Uniforms: Why Students Should Wear School Uniforms, Kidsfashion.about.com/od/doityourselfstyles/tp/The-pros-of-uniforms-why-students-should-wear-school-uniforms.htm

Another point KOuzmine makes in her blogpostr is there is a decrease in bullying and teasing. This is great because lots of kids gets bullied but now with uniforms, bullies have a couple less things to talk about which is a hugee thing for victums.

I double checked this fact through, www.google.com, which makes me feel pretty sure that it's true.

A third point addressed by D'Silva is students that wear uniforms feel more responsible in their life. This is significant, because some might not agree with D'Silva that it puts an increase on good behavior. One reaseon is uniform it maintains equality in all religious cultures.

Another reason some might agree with D'silva is " If there are no uniforms, the parents may want to dress up their kids according to their customs which may make it difficult for students to get along with each other". An example of this would be if students wore uniforms then they would be more confident in themselves.

I think students should wear

Submitted by rachels blog on Wed, 2013-02-06 13:16.

I think students should wear uniforms because it would be a whole lot easier for everyone. Especially when trying to get ready in the morning you wouldn't have to pick out your clothes you would just have to throw your uniform on haha.

I agree with wearing uniforms.

Submitted by Vivien Lai on Wed, 2013-02-06 23:52.

Keonna,
I agree with wearing uniforms to school. The elementary school and middle school I went to has to wear school uniform from Monday to Friday, and I think it's pretty good because you don't need to think about what to wear tomorrow.

Response to Should Students Wear School Uniforms?

Submitted by 18fisherz on Thu, 2013-02-28 14:51.

Dear Keonna,
I am interested by your post, "Should Students Wear School Uniforms" because I never thought that I would agree with wearing school uniforms. I always thought of it as schools taking away their students freedom, but I never considered the factors that you discussed in your writing.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "This is basically saying that people try to show off their designer clothes, and they try to make the other kids jealous and be like them. " I think this is true because a lot of the time kids are bullied about the clothes that they wear. Bullies say that their victims don’t have good style, but a lot of the time kids cannot afford designer clothes. It is already hard for those people because they don’t have enough money, and bullying just makes their lives harder. School Uniforms will help prevent this.
A sentence that I disagreed with was: "Uniforms divides the rich and poor, so no one gets hurt" This stood out for me because I think that uniforms bring the rich and the poor together, not divides them. The uniforms make it harder to tell who is rich and who is poor. This brings them together and prevents bullying because if everyone wears the same clothes, then everyone has something in common. However, I agree that it helps no one get hurt.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time we had to wear a school uniform on a class trip. Everyone was upset about it, but in the long run it kept us safe. Even though it didn’t prevent bullying, it is similar because it shows how wearing uniforms benefits the students.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you made me see something in a different way than I usually do. I am hoping that I can read more posts like this that help me see something from a different perspective.

Yes, I agree

Submitted by 18cheunga on Thu, 2013-02-28 14:57.

Dear Keonnab:
I am intrigued by your argument, “Should Students Wear School Uniforms?” because you incorporated evidence to support your argument. I would agree with you. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “An example of this would be if students wore uniforms then they would be more confident in themselves.” I think this is true because I had to wear uniforms for school. It was terrible, but I realized that this is true: You do feel more confident because no one will judge you on what you wear. Another sentence that I found interesting was: “This is great because lots of kids gets bullied but now with uniforms, bullies have a couple less things to talk about which is a hugee thing for victums.” This stood out for me because it is true. Bullies won’t judge you by what you wear; something less for them to talk about. I do agree with you about school uniforms because I had experienced uniforms as well and I know this is true. Another reason I agree with you because you provided evidence including websites where you got your information. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you made a really good argument.

I agree with you .

Submitted by 18Ahmedy on Fri, 2013-03-01 19:32.

Dear Keonnab : I am interested by your post "Should Students Wear School Uniforms?," because I never realized it may be a good idea to wear school uniform. YOu even have me agreeing with you. You gave many evidence to support your argument. I never liked wearing school uniform but failed to understand the circumstances of wearing them in the first place. Sentences you wrote that stands out for me are: "Another point KOuzmine makes in her blogpost is there is a decrease in bullying and teasing. This is great because lots of kids gets bullied but now with uniforms, bullies have a couple less things to talk about which is a hugee thing for victims. "I think this is true because usually kids get bullied because of what they wear to school. However, wearing uniforms decreased the rate of bullying. Now that everyone has to wear an uniform, these issues are prevented. Bullies can't still mock other kids when they are wearing the same thing. Another sentence that I liked was: "This is basically saying that people try to show off their designer clothes, and they try to make the other kids jealous and be like them." This stood out for me because I agree with you in every way. Students like to show off because they have better clothes than others which makes others want to be like them. Some kids even get bullied because they don't dress as good as the others. Their families are probably having hardships earning money. On top of also getting bullied, their lives just get harder. People shouldn't get judged on what they wear. Wearing uniform solves this problem with clothes. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. During elementary the principal just announced that everyone would have to wear uniforms. Everyone started to moan. Although I was upset, I knew their would be a benefit from it because bullying was going on at that time. Kids bullied other kids because of their clothes. It took some time adjusting to the uniform change but on the bright side no one was getting bullied from concerning their clothes. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this post caught my eye. I am pretty sure I will read your other posts you made. This helped me realized something new. Something I never liked but now know most of the reasons why it was needed.

Dear Keonna, I agree with

Submitted by nrinaldi on Wed, 2013-07-10 11:44.

Dear Keonna,

I agree with your argument about students being required to wear school uniforms. I do think the desire to show off designer clothing can and does make some other students feel inferior. A lot of students come to school for a place of confort, maybe an escape from unfortunate circumstances from home or the neighborhood. If students attend school and still feel insecurities because other students are wearing the expensive, designer brands, then school no long becomes a safe place or a place where kids want to go to.Also, some fashion trends can make students feel uncomfortable in other ways. Saggy pants, see through tops, backless shirts can make anyone feel uncomfortable - even the adults! When students wear these articles of clothing school, again, is no longer a safe place. The focus of school is no longer learning but to observe what everyone else is wearing.
One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is that school uniforms can decrease bullying and teasing. I agree because when differences are eliminated (by making everyone dress the same) there is little that can be used as motives for bullying.
Another sentence that I agree with is that wearing uniforms can make students feel more responsible in their life. Most workplaces do have dress codes and I think that looking the part adds to a person's success. I think schools should enforce this idea because students will have to face this head on when they enter the workforce.
Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what your write next.