Should teens have part-time jobs?

by: Edwardr

In Ann Major's essay, “Should teens work part time jobs?” from Helium.com, the author talks about the cons of teens with part time jobs and why they don’t need them.

"When we consider the issue of teen jobs, some might wonder: Why not let teens have part-time jobs and how it can possibly affect them badly." Ann Major addresses this question because she strongly believes teens don’t comprehend or possess the maturity like an adult does to handle the money from their work and will end up wanting things."

"Having been a high school teacher of 25 years, for a teen to get a part-time job is mostly motivated by the desire to have more material goods, those which their parents cannot afford. Having enough money to buy a BlackBerry or a used car is neither a necessity nor a need for a teenager. They are luxuries which consumer marketing has dictated every young person should have to fit in. In essence, by encouraging a teen to work after school and on weekends, society is teaching young people that money is more important than a good education."

This is basically saying when teens look into working a part time job they just want to work to buy things they want right now. When they finally get their paycheck, what they want to get is their cars and phones and new shoes and all that even though they have more than enough.

This might make one wonder what makes the teens so drawn to the new things they buy or the unnecessary things? Why do they not see the more important things they need to save up for like their futures? They see the money they make from the part time jobs more important than their education.

I’m pretty sure this is accurate, because the debates on http://debatewise.org/debates/2985-part-time-work-for-high-school-students/ also see the issue with teens or high school students having part time jobs.

Another point the debaters makes in their blog post is “If students are spending hours each week working in a part-time job, that is bound to have a bad effect on their school work.” This is true because “Homework will be done badly or not at all, and kids who have worked evening shifts will be too tired to learn well in school the next day. Banning students from taking paid jobs will mean they do better in school and come out with better qualifications.”

I double-checked this fact through many other surveys teens students having part-time jobs how they think it could affect any teens grades and education, which makes me feel pretty sure that it is true.

A third point addressed by Ann Major is: “As it is, adults have a difficult enough time juggling home, a job, handling daily stresses and pressures at the workplace. Teenagers are not any better equipped to go to school in the daytime, work at night, and during weekends. Not having enough sleep or relaxation takes its toll on a teen's general health; being able to pay attention in class; having the energy to do homework; or the time to spend on term papers.” This is significant, because adults do have trouble keeping jobs and paying rent or what not and the stress they have to put on is immense so a teen taking that type of responsibility could be damaging to their future.

Some might not agree with Ann Major that they cannot handle the responsibility at a young age. One reason is that you might say that at the age they are they’re mentally capable of handling the hardships of working and still getting an education. Another reason some might disagree with Ann is that this could actually be encouraging them to succeed and choose the right path in life.

What we can appreciate about this writer’s work is that she can definitely see both the good and bad points of the topic and discuss about both of them. We can look forward to seeing what she writes back, because as much as she catches the negative side of teens with part-time jobs debate, she can as well see why this would be good for teens to.

Dear Edward: I am not too

Submitted by telmck on Fri, 2013-02-22 12:43.

Dear Edward:

I am not too happy about your post but you did make some good points, "Should teens have part-time jobs," and this is because their are some teens out there in the world that could go to school and work. Another, reason why I’m not too happy with your post is because some teens do get the job to help out at home! One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Having been a high school teacher of 25 years, for a teen to get a part-time job is mostly motivated by the desire to have more material goods, those which their parents cannot afford." I think this is unfair because there's teens out there that want the job because it would make them feel good inside. Another sentence that I agreed with was: "If students are spending hours each week working in a part-time job, that is bound to have a bad effect on their school work." This stood out for me because it is true at times that if you have other things to do other than your school work; then, you tend to not do well in school!

I don't really agree with you that some teens can’t have a part time job and go to school at the same time. One reason I say this is because some people go to college and they have to get a part time jobs just to help pay off some stuff. Another reason I disagree with you is because some parents do like when their kids have something to do with their life!

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to know more about the good things that will come out of teens that do or is getting a part time job.

Dear Edwardr, I just came

Submitted by ortsha on Mon, 2013-03-18 13:06.

Dear Edwardr, I just came across your post “ Should teens have part-time jobs?’’. This post made me upset, and the reason was because as a teen i've been trying to find a job to commit to for quite some time now. My mother does not let me until my grades are all above 70’s. So when you claim “They see the money they make from the part time jobs more important than their education” is not very true. Mainly because of the fact that not every parent provides the needs and wants a teen inquires. Seeing money now is better because we learn the value of it way earlier than that 22 year old lady blowing her money on shopping sprees that she can't afford thanks to her father's credit card. The value of a dollar. Better yet the value of that dollar you worked for. Just like the value of the education you wake up at 6:50 for. Both are equal but at this time education does come first. That I do agree on, but money does make this world go round. As teens we crave, and desire things that sometimes our parents would never put money towards. Stealing is a crime but working for money to provide for yourself is not. I do think that teens are very materialistic, but being trained to maintain money is the best remedy for this money hungry illness. In my eyes the side job a teen can have will encourage a person to do well to keep the job. This to me falls in the hands of the people that hire the kids that are failing with flying colors.

Interesting.

Submitted by katolm on Tue, 2013-04-16 11:29.

Hello Edward,
I was extremely amazed and interested with your post, “Should teens have part-time jobs?” because I often tell my parents that all teens including myself should be able to work. Some of us want to learn how to provide ourselves with things that we need. We eventually get tired of asking our parents for cash to purchase our belongings.
One sentence that I really like is: “They see the money they make from the part time jobs more important than their education.” Even though I think this is accurate, I personally believe that not all teens put their earnings before their education. There are certain teens who actually care about their education, and school work because they want a better future for themselves.
Another sentence that made me think to myself is: “If students are spending hours each week working in a part-time job, that is bound to have a bad effect on their school work.” I think this statement is questionable because it absolutely can happen, but if the teen is a hard worker, he or she can manage both responsibilities. I do know for a fact that a part-time job will be taking time out of many teens daily life to complete necessary school work.
I don’t actually agree with you that banning students from taking paid jobs will mean they do better in school and come out with better qualifications. One reason I say this is because there is a huge number of students who still have bad grades and do not work. Not having a part-time job wouldn't change a thing. I know this, because as a teen myself, I have been searching for work, and so has a few of my friends. We are responsible enough to keep our grades up while working. Another reason I disagree with you is because I think that teens earning their own money would increase their attitude towards school and many other things.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you stated some great points although I disagreed with most of them and I would also like to see if you changed your opinion on this topic.

YOUR POST WAS INTERESTING!

Submitted by leoglo on Mon, 2013-05-06 11:01.

Dear Edward,
I was very interested while reading your post. Your topic really caught my attention because I pertain to the teen population and the topic of jobs has always been a topic of interest for me. Throughout your post I noticed some great points that you made.
One quote that stood out for me was, “ When teens look into working a part time job they just want to work to buy things they want right now. When they finally get their paycheck, what they want to get is their cars and phones and new shoes and all that even though they have more than enough.” This statement is true for some teens but not for all. Many teens like to follow the fashion trend and like to be like the rest of the teens. Some of them get a job to buy clothes that are in style and are being used a lot and expensive phones just to fit in. There are other teens that work to help out their parents with bills or other things. There are also other teens that work to save up money for college or to save up money for the future.
Another quote that stood out for me was, “ If students are spending hours each week working in a part-time job, that is bound to have a bad effect on their school work.” I do mostly agree with this statement. Some students might get too distracted with work and start to slack off in schools. Work may also stress out the students causing them to start performing bad in school. Another reason is that work can get the students tired, and when they get home instead of doing homework they sleep. Some students may be able to control everything perfectly and be able to balance work and school. I believe that everything depends on the students and their capabilities.
Thank you for your post it was really informative. I appreciate your post because it was good knowing your opinion on the topic. I look forward to your next post because we seem to have the same interests for the same topics.

YOUR POST WAS INTERESTING!

Submitted by leoglo on Mon, 2013-05-06 11:03.

Dear Edward,

Nice post

Submitted by nunant on Tue, 2013-05-14 11:33.

Dear Edwardr:
I am interested by your article, “Should teens have part-time jobs?," because i have thought about getting a part time job. I want to get a part time job because i don't always want to depend on my mom to give me money.One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: Not having enough sleep or relaxation takes its toll on a teen's general health" I think this is true because having to go to school so early, and then going to work won't give students enough sleep.Another sentence that caught my eyes was: "Teenagers are not any better equipped to go to school in the daytime" This stood out for me because i think teens can go to school during the daytime and then work if school didn't start so early in the morning.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this can help me write my inquiry because this is a topic i am interested about.