Say you're at home and you start to feel sick. Your head begins to ache, you are feeling dizzy, nauseated, or even faint. What would you think was wrong? Chances are, you would come to the conclusion that you were coming down with the flu, but what if these symptoms were the result of an invisible killer that most people don't even think about? I'm talking about carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, but highly poisonous to human beings. Even in small amounts, the gas can cause severe brain damage that is irreversible. The scariest part of this is, perhaps, that carbon monoxide is found in fuels such as gas, oil, kerosene, and charcoal, all of which can be found in common house hold appliances. If such appliances are to malfunction and send the gas in the house, families often can't figure out why they are not feeling well and stay inside to rest, the number one no if there is unsafe carbon monoxide levels in the air. The number of deaths from CO poisoning takes a sharp increase in the winter months, as households turn on their furnaces that can break and cause this problem.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is something that people don't usually worry about on a daily basis, but should be aware of. Recently, too, it has become a topic in the local news. Two Mormon missionaries were killed by the gas while serving on their mission abroad this week, causing local communities in particular to take note of what they can do to avoid such tragedy. Its as easy as buying a carbon monoxide alarm, found in any home ware store, but most Americans don't bother to take these precautions:
According to the National Fire Protection Association some 93% of homes have smoke alarms, yet the Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that only 15% have carbon monoxide alarms.
It's time that households around the world took note of what carbon monoxide poisoning can do, and take simple measures to ensure their own protection.