Sleep

What I'm good at

One of the most interesting things we do is probably sleep. Why we actually do it has been discussed for years and there are countless theories on it. Many things have been made clear though and that is the amount of hours people need, there is interestingly a "right amount".  That "right amount" depends on how old you are and where you are in your cycle of life. For example newborn babies sleep 16 to 18 hours every day. But adult are more around 6 to 8 hours a night, which is a big difference from the newborns. The middle part of the spectrum is a little interesting as well. 

Once kids hit puberty, they'll need more sleep than in their prepubescent period. Their body clocks shift, making it tougher to fall asleep and harder to wake up in the morning. in fact, teenagers don't start producing their sleep hormones until 1 a.m., compared to 10 p.m. in adults.  How stuff Works- is Sleep that important? 

But there have been studies that show that teenagers need their sleep or else there is a lack of energy, slow reaction time, and can lead to bad test scores. there have even been more studies on the specific right amount of sleep. Thing is it is bad to not get enough but it is also bad to get too much seep. This may seem crazy to some who believe sleeping makes them healthier. Studies have shown that that too much sleep can lead to big health concerns. 

Those who average more than nine hours of sleep per night are twice as likely to develop Parkinson's disease as those who get six hours or less. How stuff Works- is Sleep that important? 

It can hurt your health the more and more you "oversleep."

More than eight hours on a regular basis can also lead to depression, high blood pressure and heart disease.How stuff Works- is Sleep that important?

So it is important for us all to get a "good night sleep", which includes 6 to 8 hours and staying in that range. We have to sleep because it is our human nature to do so and if we ever tried not to sleep it would be very bad and we wouldn't last long without it.  Like people used to say, we sleep to cure our sleepiness.