Sleep, continued

Sleeping is obviously one of the most important activities of the day along with eating for any human. We all know that if we miss out on a little bit of sleep e are usually tired throughout the day, somewhat fatigue and not active. What actually goes on while we sleep that makes it so important? This question has been pondered for many years by a lot of scientists, and there has been some commonly accepted thesis to why we need it.

Sleep gives the body a chance to repair muscles and other tissues, replace aging or dead cells, and so on.
Sleep gives the brain a chance to organize and archive memories. Dreams are thought by some to be part of the process. 
How Stuff Works- What if I never slept again, ever?

That makes sleep sound very important. In many ways the reason you feel so ready after a full night of sleep is because the body has recharged and gotten ready for the new day. Many people still try to push the limits by not sleeping as much as they should. The problem with that is it can lead to many health problems. I mean what if your body didn't have enough time to repair your damaged tissues and to do all the necessary repairs? Your body would simply not be at full health. For example if you are a teen, you are running a big risk in your growth with sleep deprivation. 

Growth hormone in children is secreted during sleep, and chemicals important to the immune system are secreted during sleep.

Without enough time for the hormone to be active and initiate growth, you could stunt your growth greatly. That would not be ideal for anyone these days. We all wan to grow up tall, it gives us more self-confidence. Sleep deprivation if just a small thing that can really hurt us in the long run. We may not think much of it but constantly getting just one to two hours less than we need a night would be horrible to our health. The amount of time that we have lost to regaining health will add up and the body will constantly be trying to catch up, without being able to do so. That is why every minute counts. And if you aren't able to get enough in the night there is something called a nap, and those are very underrated but do wonders to our health. Sleep is important, simple, and necessary for all humans and we should try to get the right amount because of its importance to our health, plus it is an easy way to maintain good health. 

I liked your post,

Submitted by SFootman on Sun, 2009-03-15 22:54.

I liked your post, "Sleep,continued" because sleep is way more important then i thought. I guess it isn't just to recharge you.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Sleep gives the body a chance to repair muscles and other tissues, replace aging or dead cells, and so on.Sleep gives the brain a chance to organize and archive memories. Dreams are thought by some to be part of the process. " I think this is cool because I didn't know cells had anything to do with sleep.

Another sentence that I was: "Growth hormone in children is secreted during sleep, and chemicals important to the immune system are secreted during sleep." This stood out for me because I love sleep and knowing that it does so much for me makes me love it even more.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to know what else sleep does for you.

I read your post "Sleep,

Submitted by SelinaL on Mon, 2009-03-16 10:34.

I read your post "Sleep, continued" and I thought that it was really interesting because I haven't really ever thought that much about sleeping and what happens when someone sleeps. For me it was just something that happened.

Something that stood out to me was how you said "Many people still try to push the limits by not sleeping as much as they should. The problem with that is it can lead to many health problems." I'm probably one of these people since I don't sleep as much because of my homework. It gives me a whole new perspective on sleep and why I need it.

Your post reminds me of what parent say to their children when they are really young. Almost everybody has heard their parents tell them to go to sleep early because it is good for them, I have but no one has really ever told me why.

Thanks for writing this post.

A lot of the time when I am

Submitted by NoahS on Mon, 2009-03-16 10:35.

A lot of the time when I am going to sleep, I tell myself to try and remember what happened as I slept. I try to remind myself what it was like to be in a dream, to be in a state of relaxation or just how it felt to be asleep. Whenever I wake up, of course, I don't remember any thing. Maybe sleep is supposed to be a time when our deepest dreams get a chance to reveal themselves.

I agree with your sleeping

Submitted by AdrianM on Mon, 2009-03-16 10:37.

I agree with your sleeping theory as well. Sleeping is very important to the health of a human being. I agree with your sentence "Sleep gives the body a chance to repair muscles and other tissues, replace aging or dead cells, and so on. Sleep gives the brain a chance to organize and archive memories. Dreams are thought by some to be part of the process." This really grabbed my attention because I never knew that. So basically, I actually learned something new as I've read this. Sleep is very important and missing an hour or two can lead to an attitude of being cranky and tired for most of the day.

There are days where I get maybe an hour less of sleep and I tend to lose my attention span in class. There are times where I've got to stay up much later in order to study for a test or finish up my project. This makes sleeping feel not as important to me. I once thought that sleeping was "a waste of my day". I could be playing sports or watching television in the morning besides getting those two more hours of sleep on a Saturday or Sunday morning. But reading this, I guess I learned to cherish sleep. It's really important in our society and we all should know that.

I enjoyed reading your post

Submitted by aru on Mon, 2009-03-16 11:45.

I enjoyed reading your post about sleep. I learned a lot about the different processes that occur when you sleep that I didn't know. This is a very interesting topic which I hope to learn more about.

I liked the quote that you found saying, "Growth hormone in children is secreted during sleep, and chemicals important to the immune system are secreted during sleep." I was very interested in this because I enjoy learning about the different hormones in the human body. I have written a few blog posts about hormones, but mostly on the different hormones between male and female. I want to learn more about these sleep hormones, in fact, I may choose this as my next topic for a post on Youth Voices!

Thanks for this interesting post and for some great inspiration! I hope you will read and respond to one of my posts as well. I also hope to see more of your writing in the future.

I like your post it is great

Submitted by maryamkhan on Mon, 2009-03-16 15:11.

I like your post it is great and You give us lots of information about our sleep and I also believed that sleep is very important for us and of course teens.keep it up

This post was very

Submitted by AidanS on Tue, 2009-03-17 13:06.

This post was very interesting. I don't get nearly enough sleep as I should be getting, and I really feel the effects during the day, as my attention goes quickly and i sleep in class or the bus coming home. When I do sports or something that I like, my attention span comes back and I'm more into what is going which is very weird because I'm sleep deprived and doing more than just sitting in a classroom and exerting myself.