SMS vs the World

Submitted by MNichols on Mon, 2009-01-19 20:50

As many of us are well aware, technology has taken over the world. Not only in medical fields, or biological lab rooms, but in the 'average joe's' everyday life. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was a freshman in high school. Now it is common to see 4th and 5th graders carting around their i phones or blackberry's as if they have someone very urgent they need to speak to. Honestly, who is an 8 year old girl going to talk to on her cell phone besides her parents? I'm constantly being shocked at how many kids feel the need to own such a device. I think that owing a cell phone symbolizes an independence in many ways, although most just view it as a way of getting in touch.
    With the increase in cell phones, there is an increase in those younger children texting each other, and with that comes the decrease of the English language. Things are abbreviated, and what used to be a heartfelt "I love you" is now a simple "<3 U"
What is even more shocking and upsetting, depending your views on the subject is the fact there are actual websites you can go to if you are having trouble 'decoding' the text abbreviations. For example, Webopedia.

If you have ever received an instant message or text message that seemed to be written in a foreign language, this Webopedia Quick Reference will help you decipher the text chat lingo by providing the definitions to more than 1,000 chat abbreviations.

Webopedia: Text Messaging, Chat Abbreviations & Smiley Faces

They can tell you everything you need to know from a 'nvm' (nevermind) to a casually thrown in 'peeps' (people). As amazing it is that this website exists, it's even more amazing that some people might think about visiting it.
Not only is it becoming more common, but it seems to almost be it's own ligitamete language. For exapmle, Wikipedia describes 'SMS Language' as being:

Textese is a nascent dialect of English that subverts letters and numbers to produce ultra-concise words and sentiments.[4] The invention of mobile phone messages may be considered as its source, although elliptical styles of writing dating back to at least the days of telegraphese. There are no standard rules for writing SMS languages, and a lot of words can also be shortened, such as "text" then turns into "txt". Words can also be combined with numbers to make them shorter, such as "later" turns into "l8er". Its speed in which they can be written and helps in using fewest number of letters, and helps in dealing with space constraints of text messaging.

SMS language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me, even if I am in a hurry, even if I am running to save my own life, I can never picture myself sending someone a text saying " Im dying, c u l8er". Though I do text my fair share, I am promising myself that I will never succumb to the temptations of the 'textese' language. And I certainly hope that in the future, instead of developing this so called language, we shy away from it and go back to good ol Shakespearian English. Well, maybe not that far.

Interesting Opinion

Submitted by zaivy (not verified) on Mon, 2009-01-19 21:07.

I feel as if things like this are strange too. I felt the peer pressure, when I was in about, maybe the 4th grade, to have a cell phone, though I only just got one this year (I'm in 8th grade). Technology is taking over and I think it's doing it a bit too much. Even so, I find it unfotuante for you, that I don't believe texting will end. I know you will probably displease this, but I also use the texting language. Please don't scorn me!