Something I Carry

by: G2taylorl

Dear Parents,

Out of all the things I carry, the one thing I know I can’t live without is my phone!

My phone is a tad thick and is black. When i need to make a call it is upright in a vertical position, with numbers 0-9 visible. When i would like to text, i turn it 90 degrees to its side and i slide the top up to reveal a dial pad containing letters a-z, numbers 0-9, and every punctuation i could need. My phone does the most for me; it calls for help, calls my parents, and keeps me in touch with friends & family. With my phone it is hard to find myself bored especially if texting a close friend. With my phone I can also set up reminders and alarms, so I am never late to anything, like saying happy birthday or getting up for school in the morning.

Ounce on a dark and stormy night, I was frightful and in a hurry to get to my friends house. I was only 15 at the time and had no car, however my friend only lived a few blocks away, so I decided to go on foot. I was wearing khaki shorts and a red and white striped tank top. With my phone in my pocket in case of emergency or if my parents needed me. I started walking.

It was a bit chilly and the wind was blowing soft. After a little while of walking, I realized I did not know which house was his. I began to panic, running up and down the street seeing if i could recognize a car, or see someone through the window. Out of breath, I stopped and remembered I had my phone in my pocket that my parents had bought for me a week early.

I pulled it out and went through the contacts till I came across his name: Johnny. I called his number hoping he would pick up. 1... 2... 3... rings still no answer. YES! He answered on the fourth ring.

I asked him which house was his, and he told me 1066 North Wallebarry Lane. I was relieved to find that I was actually standing in his front yard when I hung up the phone. Without my phone I would have had to either guess which house was his and ring every door bell, or find my way to home to try again another time. Thanks to the kindness of my parents who bought me my phone a week earlier I was saved.

I carry my phone with me almost every place I go, and hate when I don’t have it on me. This is my lifeline for almost all occasions. My phone's weight may only be one pound, however its symbolic weight is 80 lbs out of 100 of pure positive weight.

Thank you for my phone parents!

Improvements

tommybuteau's picture
Submitted by tommybuteau on Sat, 2012-04-21 23:58.

Great letter, and much improved with the addition of a story to illustrate the importance of your phone. Fun to read.