Speak

For my second independent reading project, I read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

It starts off with Melinda, the main character, going to school for the first day of 9th grade. She walks in, and it is made clear that all of her friends from the previous year don't like her. We find out later that it is because she called the police on a party that she and all of her friends were at. She called because something happened to her at that party that she is trying to forget, but can't. She thinks it's safer to not speak up, that to speak and cause drama.

I really liked this book. The story line was interesting and kept me wanting to read, so much that I read the whole book on one day. I thought that the way the author wrote this story, from the perspective of a 14 year old girl, was one of the things that helped me relate and empathize with the main character. Even though nothing that happened to her has happened to me, I was able to understand it from her perspective. I also really liked the imagery in the book, the author really made me feel like I was there with Melinda, I could picture everything that was happening. Overall, this was a really great book, and I would definitely recommend it.

Question: If something horrible happened to you, like what happened to Melinda, would you tell someone, or keep quiet about it like she does?

Speak

Submitted by The Movie Destroyer on Fri, 2016-01-08 12:33.

From your book summary I found this book kinda of interesting 'cause in fact I don't have a real interest in books of this genre. But you left out a question for us and I think that I might go read it. Thanks for sharing.

Book talk

Submitted by tina188 on Fri, 2016-01-08 12:50.

The best choice would be to tell someone. For example if you were bullied, you should tell an adult to put an end to it. Or if you saw someone getting bullied, you would want to speak up and stand up for that person. At the same time though, it is hard because you might be embarrassed about what happened to you and it is hard to stand up for yourself when everyone else is against you and it seems like it you against the world.