Starbucks' Job Initiative: Americans Helping Americans

If you've been in a Starbucks coffee shop in the past few months,you may have noticed pamphlets declaring, "Visibly Indivisible: This Country Needs Jobs," accompanied by a red, white, and blue bracelet, engraved with the single word, "Indivisible" (Available for purchase for $5). This pamphlet and bracelet represent an initiative created and shared by Starbucks and the Opportunity Finance Network (OFN) to create more jobs in America as well as provide financing to community businesses nationally.
This is how the process goes. You purchase a bracelet for $5.00 at your local Starbucks. 100% of the money counts as a donation to the Create Jobs for USA fund of the OFN. The OFN then extends grants to Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) across the country. Your donation increased to $35 through the CDFI's ability to aquire financing through other soucrces, like banks, corporations, and foundations. The $35 goes directly to communities in need of jobs and turns into a loan from a CDFI. CDFIs in the OFN network maintain a 98% repayment rate on the loans that they give. For every $3,000 that is donated, CDFIs generate about 7 times that amount, or $21,000 for loans for the communities they serve. This is enough to create or maintain 1 job. This may seem like a lot of money for a single job, but when you take into account that it all began with one person buying a $5 bracelet while buying their daily cup of joe, it's pretty extraordinary.
It's more than just another charity or job initiative- it's "Americans helping Americans in a big way."

For more information on this outstanding program, please visit createjobsforUSA.org