Storm Stories: Hurricane Sandy

by: Faiza

Hurricane Sandy affected many people on the eastern coast of the United States. With winds going over 80 miles per hour, Superstorm Sandy caused severe damage. Near where I live in New York City, we were lucky to have electricity and food. There were no flooding or power outages here, but other areas nearby did have power outages. Some of my cousins live in Jamaica,Queens and they had no power for a whole day. Also, my dad works in a restaurant in Manhattan and it was closed for 8 days due to the power outages this hurricane had caused. The winds were strong, and even though nothing much happened near where I live during the storm, I could see the how strong the wind was from my window. The leaves on the trees were constantly moving, and the lights flicked a few times on Monday evening. I thought this storm would be more than we could expect, but it turns out that we were safe and I was so thankful for that. I stayed home until Wednesday afternoon, but I saw that Hurricane Sandy affected the weather a lot since it was still very windy. The subways were closed due to the flooding which is why New York City schools were closed for a whole week. According to the weather channel, during Hurricane Sandy about ten-million people had no power at their house whereas in Hurricane Irene (which took place in 2011), only about six-million people had no power. New Jersey was one of the places that really had a lot of damage because houses were flooded and some people had to wait on their roofs until they were rescused. Along with the hurricane, a fire started in Little East Neck Road which caused many houses to be destroyed and many lives to be lost. This was definetly an event that affected many people.severe damage by Hurricane Sandy

storm surge

MrHodgson's picture
Submitted by MrHodgson on Tue, 2012-11-06 05:48.

Thanks for your insightful piece, and I hope your father is back to work and your cousins are OK. I kept reading about the subways and wondered about the conditions of those lines, and how flooded they must have become with the storm surges. I'm glad that you and your family were fine, for the most part.
Mr. Hodgson
Norris Elementary School
Southampton, Massachusetts

I have some cousins living in

Submitted by saltymike on Tue, 2012-11-06 15:26.

I have some cousins living in Staten Island, and I don't know the extremities of the damage, but from what I hear it was pretty devastating to many people across the east coast. I hope that your father and others can return to work and that you pick up in your studies, because normality is very healing when it comes to these kind of disasters.

I have some cousins living in

Submitted by saltymike on Tue, 2012-11-06 15:27.

comment

Submitted by Aidan on Wed, 2012-11-07 13:59.

Hello, my name is Aidan Crouch and im from the west coast. I already read a lot of articles about this storm and i really liked yours. I have a few questions for you. I've never been in one of these "perfect stroms" , only been in earthguakes, but what was it like? And what did you do while you waited in your house??

I hope you are doing well

Submitted by anonymous on Wed, 2012-11-07 14:03.

Hello,

I have been hearing about this storm for a few weeks now and I just wanted to say that I hope everyone is fine. I live on the west coast in California, and I would like to say that it can't get much tougher than what you have already went through and I have to aknowledge that you have done a good job on not fiving up and sticking through it. I hope everyone on the east coast is doing better and that it wil get back to normal soon.

Greetings from California

Submitted by Gabby A. on Wed, 2012-11-07 14:08.

Hi! My name's Gabby and I'm in my English class right now, finishing up a question and answer assignment on hurricane Sandy. I live in California and I hope that everyone in your area is safe and sound. How are you feeling? It must be really hard deal with this but everyone on the west coast is praying for you and caring. I wanted to comment on your post because seeing the devastation cause by this storm I wanted to reach out to someone. Now onto the not so sad things because you probably already know that this isn't the best situation to be in. It's really funny because my dog's name is Sandy and it was the day after her birthday that hurricane Sandy was predicted to come. Have you ever seen Spongebob? You know how the squirrel's name is Sandy? I saw a funny picture online and I was of a dried up Spongebob calling for Sandy (the squirrel) to get him water. Then you see Sandy's head superimposed on the eye of hurricane Sandy saying "I'm coming Spongebob!" I know that was really lame but I figured a little joke would be nice. I hope that you're okay!

Wow...

Submitted by Shaun Hou on Wed, 2012-11-07 17:02.

It's very lucky to be in an area with not much damage. I used to live in Minnesota for a time and there were al ot of terrifying storms. I can't remember much, but it was terrifying. Hope you are safe!

Joaquin Moraga

California