Students building nest boxes for swallows in their neighborhoods

by: angelc

In Daniel Beekman’s article in the New York Daily News, “Bronx teenagers build nests boxes for migratory tree swallows, get nature lesson from feathered friends” (3rd May 2012), the author talks about how students get together to build nests for birds. These nests are made so when birds fly into them during the spring, they can keep warm, bring more leafs for comforting, and the mother bird to leave there babes there so she can hunt for food to feed them.

When we consider the issue of birds and the environment in the Bronx some people might wonder why are we building nests for birds? These nests are being built so when any swallows fly into them they can have space to be a family. Beekman addresses this question when he talks about when one of the students talks about how his grandfather builds houses for people:

The Satellite Academy students sawed plywood for the nest boxes, nailed the homes together and sanded them down. They drilled the openings carefully to keep larger birds out."My grandfather is a carpenter," said senior Brandon Bermeo, 19. "He builds houses for people. For me to build houses for animals, it was cool."

Building houses for the birds will be fun and exciting for me because helping the birds live, and keeping them warm is better than letting them die or freeze. These birds can adapt as a family inside the nests.

This might make people wonder why birds are important to our environment. They are important because now people look at our environment in a new way, as Beekman writes:

Now the students look at their environment in a new way. "We talked about the birds when we built the boxes but none of the students really knew what a tree swallow was," she said. "When they saw the birds in the boxes it was a revelation. There were oohs and ahhs."

This is basically saying that when I build my boxes for the birds, I will know that helping the birds is just like helping people. While the baby birds are staying warm all the big birds can search for mosquitoes to feed the baby birds.

A third point addressed by Beekman is by making the nests for birds it makes the students proud that they can come together to help birds and our environment. As it says in the article:

Montero said brought her brothers and sisters to check out the birds in the park. "They were proud of me," she said. "They asked questions about the birds and I was able to tell them the answers."

What we can appreciate about this writer is that he explains why the students in the Bronx are building nests for birds to survive in their neighborhood.

Reference

Beekman, D. (2012) Bronx teenagers build nest boxes for migratory tree swallows, get nature lesson from feathered friends. New York Daily News, [online] 3rd May. Available at: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/bronx-teenagers-build-nest-box... [Accessed: 4th March 2013].

My notes on this article.

birds

Submitted by miguelc on Sat, 2013-03-09 20:47.

Dear Angel :

I am content with your post, "Students building nest boxes for swallows in their neighborhoods," because it brings to light some of the misconceptions many students, such as myself, had when they heard about the tree swallows project.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "When we consider the issue of birds and the environment in the Bronx some people might wonder why are we building nests for birds?" I think this is interesting because not a lot of people are aware of swallows being in the Bronx area, let alone the purpose in creating a nest for them.

Another sentence that I liked was: "Building houses for the birds will be fun and exciting for me because helping the birds live, and keeping them warm is better than letting them die or freeze." This stood out for me because many people simply don't care about birds. They are apart of our society and we must also be concerned about their well-being and survival.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I am also doing a project on tree swallows and I think this information is vital to my research.

Swallow response.

Submitted by angelc on Tue, 2013-04-09 11:45.

Dear Miguel,

I am happy you wrote about my post because it cool to know that you also care about the birds.

One sentence you wrote that stand out to me is "They are apart of our society and we must also be concerned about their well being and survival". There survival is important because it wont be the same if there were no birds in the air flying.

Another sentence that your wrote that caught my attention is "people don't care about birds" this is true cause there can be a group of bird eating then a person will come a scare them away. People who also don't like birds will also try to knock down the nest box. With out the box they wont have a place to stay.

This project is making me think about the bird house we put up in the park, wondering if there are bird there now.

Thank for writing on my post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it will be fun more talking about the bird project, and learn more about them.

In angel's essay "Students

britneypa's picture
Submitted by britneypa on Thu, 2013-04-11 08:34.

I am excited by your essay of "Students building nest boxes for swallows in their neighborhoods" because it explains many reasons of swallow birds and how they deserve a home for the spring. And also explains the different responses of the people working with the swallow birds. One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is " Building houses for the birds will be fun and exciting for me because helping the birds live, and keeping them warm is better than letting them die or freeze,". I think this is fair because it really is nice to save birds because just like birds there are like humans as well who need homes.

Another sentence that I like was "This might make people wonder why birds are important to our environment. they are important because now people look at our environment in a new way". This stood out for me because many people when they think about birds it doesn't concern them as much because they think it's not that important but now building these boxes it opens their eyes more for birds who need homes as well.

Your essay reminds me of something that happened to me one time in rocking the boat which was a few weeks ago and it was pretty much the same thing about teachers teaching us about birds and how interesting it is to people and students as well.

Birds are like humans

Submitted by angelc on Thu, 2013-04-11 10:52.

Dear Britney,

I am happy you wrote back about the bird project. It's cool that we are observing these birds and taking care of them.

One sentence that you wrote that is true is: " I think this is fair because it really is nice to save birds because like birds there are like humans as well who need a home." I agree with this because the birds are just like us humans. The birds need to stay warm and search for food every day and bring it to their families which they all are in the box.

It will be cool if you came with us to go bird watching next time. What I can wait for is when we go on the river to also watch birds fly over us.

Thanks.

Dear angelc: I am glad that

shamars's picture
Submitted by shamars on Sun, 2013-04-21 18:51.

Dear angelc:

I am glad that you wrote a post about the projects that we have been doing these past few weeks. I think your post “Students building nest boxes for swallows in their neighborhoods” was informative and interesting. This project can help the citizens of New York realize understand how helpful nature is to our daily lives. Before this project I honestly didn't care for nature and all the birds that flew over our heads every day.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “ When we consider the issue of birds and the environment in the Bronx some people might wonder why are we building nests for birds?” and I think that is a good question one might ask. To me I love the outdoors, I love to watch nature at its best at work and I enjoy spending time on watching all sorts of different animals doing their thing. When I spend time out of the city I feel at peace and I feel like a can finally breath (Not an insult to New York's air.).

Another sentence that I was elated about was “Montero said brought her brothers and sisters to check out the birds in the park. "They were proud of me," she said. "They asked questions about the birds and I was able to tell them the answers." This stood out to me because this is clear proof of how this project has already changed the lives and minds a many of the Bronx youth. I for one want to take pride in my neighborhood because I think it is strange that us Bronx teenagers spent most of or all of our lives here and we treat our home like garbage by littering and polluting our air and water.

You post allows me to think about all the good that can come from a little bit a recreational work. I think that we can turn the Bronx around with the hard work that we are doing and we can make New York more in touch with nature again as a result of our work. Hopefully more recreational actions such as this can inspire more Eco friendly change and innovation for areas that has higher carbon outputs.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you are going to write next, and what kind of tasks we may be able to do with Rocking the Boat.