Swine Flu YV 13

by: spalmer
The swine influenza A (H1N1) virus that has infected humans in the U.S. and Mexico is a novel influenza A virus that has not previously been identified in North America. This virus is resistant to the antiviral medications amantadine (Symmetrel) and rimantadine (Flumadine), but is sensitive to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza). Investigations of these cases suggest that on-going human-to-human swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is occurring.

Swine Flu Symptoms, Treatment, Facts and Transmission on MedicineNet.com

The recent spreading of the swine flew has stirred up some trouble. It started in Mexico and then vacationers brought the virus home to the US. Many have died in Mexico and a couple in the US. Schools have been closing for a precaution and all sporting events postponed. “Wash your hands”, has becoming the common saying during the day. Is the swine flu something people should be panicking about , or is it just a regular sickness that can be cured easily?

Although uncomplicated influenza-like illness (fever, cough or sore throat) has been reported in many cases, mild respiratory illness (nasal congestion, rhinorrhea) without fever and occasional severe disease also has been reported. Other symptoms reported with swine influenza A virus infection include vomiting, diarrhea, myalgia, headache, chills, fatigue, and dyspnea.

The symptoms for swine flu are almost identical to the regular flu that is always going around. If one has the flu symptom people are panicking, because they think they have the swine flu. If you have the symptoms though, there is a chance you could have swine flu, so you should get checked out and not take the risk. In schools if one person had the symptoms the whole school has to be cautious. One student at a school travels to many different locations in the building and many others travel to those same spots. Examples: Desk, hand railings, doorknobs. Everyone needs to be extra careful about what they touch and especially make sure they wash their hands!

Dear Spalmer : I was

12popperh's picture
Submitted by 12popperh on Fri, 2009-05-08 08:47.

Dear Spalmer :

I was interested in your post, "Swine Flu YV 13," because it is a very important issue that is occuring in the United Stated and all over the world. More than enough people have died in Mexico because of it.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "It started in Mexico and then vacationers brought the virus home to the US. Many have died in Mexico and a couple in the US. Schools have been closing for a precaution and all sporting events postponed." I think this is interesting because it shows how a major issue it is and how it is affecting everyday life.

Another sentence that I liked was: "The symptoms for swine flu are almost identical to the regular flu that is always going around. If one has the flu symptom people are panicking, because they think they have the swine flu." This stood out for me because people in schools and in neighborhoods are being very percatious because of the outbreak and some people are even wearing face masks because of it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it is very informative about the issue and it really makes you think about how it is affecting everyone around the world.

I have not heard of any

Submitted by aru on Tue, 2009-05-19 13:17.

I have not heard of any deaths in the US from swine flu. I don't think that any deaths have occurred yet. If so, there would have been much more hysteria about it. Especially in my neighborhood since I live in Queens. There have been confirmed cases of swine flu, but no deaths have occurred.