Tale of Tanning Risk

by: msprinkle

Recently I have read different articles that explain the many risks of indoor tanning and the ultraviolet rays we are exposing ourselves to with the help of Googles site operator. There are two types of ultraviolet rays, UV-B rays penetrate the top layers of skin and are most responsible for sunburns and UV-A rays which penetrate to the deeper layers of the skin and are often associated with allergic reactions. Being exposed to these rays increase your chance of getting skin cancer. “The use of tanning beds was associated with a 67 percent increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma and a 29 percent higher risk of basal cell carcinoma, compared with never using a tanning bed...” There has been an association with indoor tanning and three types of skin cancer and one type of eye cancer. Other risks from tanning include premature aging, immune suppression, and eye damage. This is particularly a concern with children and teens. Some researchers even say the earlier in your life that you start this process of tanning the more likely it is for you to get skin cancer. Tanning however is a very "western" trend. In places such as China and the Middle East they aim to have a more fair almost pink inflection. People in India even go as far as using a lightening creme that makes their skin tone lighter. The idea of beauty varies around the world but is being tan really worth the risk?

Mariah, I am really

Submitted by sideknee on Fri, 2012-12-14 01:57.

Mariah,
I am really interested in the topic you've chosen for your research paper. Having lost someone to skin cancer, I think that it is a very important topic for the public to be educated about. Also, it appears that you have found a lot of reliable information on the topic, so keep up the good work!

Beauty actually used to be

Submitted by gabisavchuk on Fri, 2012-12-14 16:03.

Beauty actually used to be based around how pale a person was - this was especially present in the Renaissance. Although it was not skin cancer, I have also lost a loved one to cancer, and I would never knowingly put myself in a situation of possibly getting cancer. I think beauty is about being well-kempt, not going to artificial extremes, but having confidence. Cancer is not something to fool around with, and tanning has been proven to heighten these chances. So the answer is no, it's not worth the risk.

Mariah, This topic is very

Submitted by tdejonge on Mon, 2012-12-17 18:28.

Mariah,
This topic is very interesting and I am glad you chose to research this specific trend because it is very apparent in our society. I also find it interesting that the definition of "beauty" varies around the world. I look forward to reading more of your posts on this topic.
Good work!