Talking During Movies

by: treyk
What I'm good at

Talking and texting while you are in a movie theater is a nationwide/worldwide problem.  While most of the audience is trying to engulf themselves into the story, there is always some sort of distraction coming from a pest nearby.  Chatter; loud enough so you can hear, but so soft that you can't identify the words being spoken.  It's like a fly buzzing in your ear or an itch on your back that is just out of reach.  I figure that if you pay $8 plus to see a movie, you should enjoy it how you want.
    About a week ago I went to the early premier of "Jennifer's Body" with my two friends Erika and Maria.  The movie had not come out yet which made us very excited to be one of the first to see it.  When we entered the theater, we saw a roped section reserved for the critics who looked like ancient fossils whispering to each other about other movies they reviewed and their opinions of them.  It reminded my of little pokemon nerds trading their cards and bragging about becoming a so-called pokemon master.  Anyways, we waited patiently for the movie to begin, reminding ourselves of the previews of Megan Fox's hot and possibly nude body.  The previews began and Erika and Maria where chatting away, constantly making judgments and unnecessary comments about the movies to come.  This didn't bother me, what did bother me was when the chatting never ceased!  They continued to talk (not even attempting to whisper) throughout the entire show.  I was amazed that no one stood up and told them to quiet down.  During one part of the movie someone did yell, "Shut up!"  But he didn't specify who (I was hoping he would).  After the movie we talked about our likes and dislikes.  I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was very creative, original, and unique but both of them agreed it was a joke.  Go figure.  They shouldn't be allowed an opinion if they didn't really pay attention to what was happening.
    Texting is another annoying factor of going out to see a movie.  Personally it isn't as annoying as talking, but when you are trying to look at the screen and there are forty different lights going off in the seats below it can be a little distracting.  What I am basically trying to say is that if you are going to a movie, respect the people who came to actually watch, turn off your phone and be quiet.  It can really piss off people to the point of violence (See below).

Guy Gets Shot in Movie Theater

When faced, at the movies, with obnoxious fellow audience members who are talking or kicking the back of your chair, you have two basic options (unless, of course, their banter is better than the dialogue onscreen): You can confront them and risk physical injury, or you can move to another seat.
Talking During Movies

Dear Trey, Your perception

Submitted by M_Rech on Thu, 2009-09-24 20:41.

Dear Trey,

Your perception of reality is worrisome to me. But I respect it nonetheless.

Live hard, die hard.

Maria "Bruce Willis" Rechsteiner

Dear Marian, as the article

Submitted by treyk on Sat, 2009-09-26 17:32.

Dear Marian, as the article I read suggests, I either move to another seat or confront you with physical violence.  Next movie you talk in, I will choose violence.

Dear Trey, I agree with your

Submitted by dcawdery on Sat, 2009-09-26 19:45.

Dear Trey,

I agree with your post, "Talking During Movies", because people should respect others during movies. I have also had experiences where someone  sitting close to me will not stop talking. Sometimes they are not even talking about the movie that is playing, but of their personal lives or their "sweet little Johnny" that just made the football team. It is ridiculous when people are talking when I have paid money to enjoy a film. If they want to talk during a movie, they should wait until it comes out on dvd so that they can talk all they want. I am tired of those who talk during movies or interupt a scene from their cell phone ringing. Please do everyone a favor and don't interupt movies.

Thanks for your post Trey. I truly agree with what you have written.

Sincerely,

Dylan Cawdery

I definitely agree

Submitted by MNoguchi on Tue, 2009-10-20 08:18.

I definitely agree with this post; now a days when you have to pay more than $10 to watch a movie, you expect to watch it in peace.  I understand when it's little kids talking, I mean, it's only natural, but what annoys me the most is when the older crowd decide to ruin the movie for others.  I feel like most of the talking goes on during typical "teen movies"; I understand that when watching movies with friends, you want to make small comments to eachother, but I believe that if you really respect one another and the ones who have created the movie, you should pay more attention to what you just payed for. 

I definitely agree

Submitted by MNoguchi on Tue, 2009-10-20 08:19.