Tech habits: a necessary distraction

by: A-Fratto

In a New York Times article entitled “Are Your Tech Habits Hurting Your Grades?” authors Shannon Doyne and Holly Ojalvo pose the question, “What affect does technology have on students’ grades?” to students and teachers. With cell phones, television, gaming, and social networking students are faced with a variety of distractions that can interfere with a productive learning environment. But in my opinion all it takes is a little discipline and acceptance of the role technology can play in education to find its positive attributes.

Right when I come home from school I try to get all my homework done yet intermingled with that is time spent watching TV and getting on Facebook. Both are a necessary distraction for me. It’s hard for students to sit down and do three to five hours of homework in one sitting. You’ve just spent eight hours in school and don’t want to be placed in the same environment at home for the next several hours. Thus I believe its important to throw in a few minutes here and there of television, texting someone, or stalking people on Facebook. I do this all the time and my grades are just fine because I give myself a little time for relaxation or a distraction.

However tech habits can get the better of students if they let it overtake them. Skyrim, Facebook, and Twitter have a tendency to let time slip away from you. But we shouldn’t blame technology for that but students who don’t have the responsibility and discipline to properly integrate tech habits with their education.

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/22/are-your-tech-habits-hurtin...

Homework

Submitted by Chad Sansing on Wed, 2012-02-01 21:10.

A-Fratto, I feel your homework pain.

Do you think there's a way to digitize or Skyrimificate homework into something more relevant? How would you describe the difference between 3-5 hours of homework and 3-5 hours of an app or game that engrosses you?

All the best,