Is Technology Worth the Loss of Privacy?

In a world of advanced technology with cell phones, the internet, credit cards and iTunes our lives, according to Patrick Oppmann of CNN, are being constantly tracked. I've heard a lot of jokes about how Google is taking over the world, but in reality it is pretty scary just how much information they have on everyone. Every click of the mouse is tracked and recorded, companies know exactly what you buy and when you bought it and cell phones now come with chips that track your location. Not to sound paranoid, but does the advancement of technology really mean the loss of our privacy?
    According to this article I found on CNN.com it could mean exactly that.

Just moving around is tracked. If it's on a bus, and you are paying with bus cards, that can be tracked. If you are driving your car, there are increasingly video cameras that recognize license plates. Anytime you have a cell phone on, it's talking with cell towers and creating a record of where you are down to 100 feet. Link.

This is actually kind of scary. However, the companies trying to make a profit aren't the only ones abusing the privacy loss of our technological world. Last year, more than 11 million U.S. consumers were victims of identity theft, according to an annual survey released last month. Everyone has so much information about them on the web which is easily accessible to pretty much anyone with a computer and the knowledge of how to use it.

I guess privacy is just a sacrifice we are going to have to make. The only thing I can think of is to be aware that there are people that will abuse this and to just be smart about what you put online.

i think that technology has

Submitted by craj2944 on Thu, 2010-04-15 11:24.

i think that technology has ruined ur privacy but no people are really going to look through and search for someone.

your article is very true

Submitted by kspa0128 on Thu, 2010-04-15 11:24.

your article is very true and interesting! i enjoyed it alot

In a way it can be a good or

Submitted by aros3197 on Thu, 2010-04-15 11:48.

In a way it can be a good or bad thing. For example being able to track someone can be a good or bad thing. Its a very scary subject

Replying To Your Interesting Post And Opinions

Submitted by angelog on Thu, 2012-09-06 13:01.

Dear hannahking :

I am moved by your post, "Is Technology Worth The Loss Of Privacy," because you have made various points across and I agree with you. It is scary to not even be aware of the fact that you are being tracked.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I guess privacy is just a sacrifice we are going to have to make." I think this is misguided because your way of thinking shouldn't be like that. You are basically giving in to the fact that our privacy is no longer private, I disagree with this sentence because its a poor way of thinking.

Another sentence that I re-read was: "Not to sound paranoid, but does the advancement of technology really mean the loss of our privacy?" This stood out for me because I think you should've sounded paranoid. Loss of privacy is a very huge deal with someone's info lands in the hands of the wrong person god knows what could happen, maybe gain a stalker, crazy person now loves you and has to know everything you do day to night. Wouldn't you be paranoid if this was you ?

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was watching the news and the anchor said that our emails were going to be viewed by the government. I didn't really that idea so I started doing some research and our rights shouldn't be violated to that extent.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you did your research I learned a little something new. I would really much like to view your thoughts and hope that i can maybe help change your mind and really think about how much privacy means to us the people.