Technology - Yes, It's Taking Over The World

by: type
How reliant are people on technology?
This question is one that needs addressing. My curiosity about it was spurred on by an  assignment we had in class today in which we had to craft a response to an article discussing the pros and cons of technology affecting today’s students. I would like to know and understand how our world could operate without technology, which, in turn, will tell me how reliant we’ve become on it. It is a question with many answers but it boils down to the hard facts about our new world.

I know for a fact that most of the modern, western civilization is dependant upon technology - air traffic, other means of travel, the stock market, world communication, etc. It seems as if the world governments have not created a fall-back system to be used in the event that technology would be taken away. The Internet is so huge, and has record of the majority of the living people around the globe, it is a dangerous frontier.

Monthly Texts vs. Text Messaging in Teens

(http://www.frankwbaker.com/mediause.htm)

Everything is on the rise - time spent watching television, time text messaging, thousands of people sign up for Facebook every day, people spend more time in their cars, and internet use is on the rise. I think it is very safe to say that we are becoming increasingly reliant on technology, and that it now takes up a huge part of our lives. Without it, I’m sure horrendous things would happen all over the globe.

I approached my research fairly simply. I first found an article in the New York times addressing my question (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brainside.html). From there, I did my own primary sourcing by researching the statistics about technology use (http://www.frankwbaker.com/mediause.htm). None of the research contradicted another, and I found it a fairly simple question to research - how one interprets the statistics (negatively or positively) is a different issue, but the statistics produce a startling response - we use technology way too much.

Dear Tyler, I agree with with

Submitted by illken on Thu, 2012-02-23 21:52.

Dear Tyler,

I agree with with your post “Technology- It’s taking over the world.” it seems interesting and I like it. I can relate to it, and I agree with the fact that as time passes on there will be new inventions because technology always advances over the years. One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is: “I would like to know and understand how our world operate without technology.” I think this is true because sometimes I have that same feeling; how will the world function without technology and does it matter in the world because people use it every single day. Another sentence that I agreed with was: “I think it’s safe to say that we are becoming increasingly reliant on technology, and that it know takes up a huge part of our lives.” This stood out for me because I can’t live a day without my phone or my laptop, and I rely on them everyday because they are my special resources.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had to wake up early on a Saturday to go work with my uncle on his electrician job, one thing he doesn't like is me missing work or missing my tools. But since I was in a hurry i forgot my tools, so I told my uncle that I left them in the locker room, I couldn’t believe he believed me. I grabbed my cell phone and called my mom, in the next 30 minutes she brought my tools and saved my day.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I’m really interested in your writing, I feel like I can relate to some one's writing that is not my friends writing. One thing that will make me see your writing is your creativity, it makes sense, it brings out a good point, and most importantly it sticks to the topic of technology.