Teen Depression

It is important for people to realize depression in teens is not the same as depression in adults, teens express their depression in different ways other than sadness, and it is important to be aware of these signs. Without knowing the signs of depression in teenagers, it is easy to overpass it, and leave the teen with no support system. Support from loved ones goes hand in hand with treatment of depression in teens, and without it they are likely to continue suffering depression. After a depressive episode, teens have a 20%-60% chance of experiencing another one in two years, and a 75% chance after five years. This just proves how crucial it is for teens to get treatment as soon as possible, and that can only happen when the person suffering, and those around them, realize the signs of depression in teens.

Hi Olivia, I think this is a

Submitted by fdeininger on Thu, 2013-01-31 15:19.

Hi Olivia,

I think this is a great topic for your research paper! I've never realized that there is a unique distinction between adult and teen depression. I think what might be helpful is to discuss the main differences between adult and teen depression, what unique qualities exist in teen depression that may not exist in adult depression, etc. I've heard that teen depression is often ignored/left untreated because its merely considered a phase that the teen will grow out of. Do you agree/disagree with this? Also, have you looked into treatment options that are distinct for teens? I'm shocked at the high percentage of returning depression within five years. Is this with or without treatment? I would love to read your research paper to learn more about teen depression!
Thank you!

Olivia, I think this is a

Submitted by msprinkle on Fri, 2013-02-01 01:58.

Olivia,
I think this is a very important research for many people because it can affect almost anyone or at least someone you are in close contact with. I am glad you chose to do your research on this topic because in our day and age depression is on the rise all over the country and I think it has become a real problem among many teens. I never knew there was a noticeable difference between teen depression and adult depression, so I have already learned something new. However, I do believe it is important for adults and parents as well as other teens to know these signs so you can help someone when they are in need! I hope you continue on this path with your research paper and I would be very interested in reading what you come up with!

Olivia, I think this is a

Submitted by msprinkle on Fri, 2013-02-01 01:59.

Olivia,

Dear Olivia: I am interested

gabcab's picture
Submitted by gabcab on Tue, 2013-03-19 15:32.

Dear Olivia:
I am interested with your post," Teen Depression," because I never actually noticed that depression within teens was different than the depression adults faced. Also I agreed with many things that you stated on this post. At this moment right now there may be many teens suffering inside without having somebody there to support them as they feel low.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: " After a depressive episode, teens have a 20%-60% chance of experiencing another one in two years, and a 75% chance after five years." I think this is incredible because it unbelievable how it is proven by statistics that depression is not just a feeling that leave but it is one that comes back to haunt you. Nobody deserves to land on depression, but I believe it is given to those who are strong and could handle it.

Another sentence that I agreed with was: "Support from loved ones goes hand in hand with treatment of depression in teens, and without it they are likely to continue suffering depression." This stood out for me because it is so realistic how many lives depend on other people’s desire to help. I just take a simple supporting comment to make a person's world upside down.

I do entirely agree with you that it is sometimes hard to figure what some teens might be be feeling. One reason I say this is because looking sometimes looking at my teen friends I struggle at reading their emotions. Another reason I agree with you is. because I believe that people with depression wouldn't want the whole world to know what they suffer from.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I was able to agree with many of your ideas. Also I like how you were you said your opinion right away without trying to make everyone agree with you . In addition, you supported your ideas.