Tennis Play Style

by: Jmo

Tennis is a game based on the mind. People who rely purely on strength will almost never win the game due to the lack of aim and lack of concentration to the one goal in tennis which is "get the ball into the opponents courts one more time" which is a phrase most young players don’t listen to anymore, most of the time they aim only for winners or killing shots which can be deflected very easily when improperly aimed which costs them the point and raises their temper. players these days have no thoughts into their game unlike the elderly players who cant run that much so they hit junk balls which also means "unplayable shots", those shots give you no angle for attacking without wasting much effort and they always play it to your bad hand which is either your backhand or your forehand when you are on the other side of the court.

Another type of player that uses similar methods are pro's due to their experience in the game and their passion to win.

"If I were Djokovic, I would watch this final over and over, no matter how painful it may be, because it seemed so graphically to illustrate why he's had trouble getting traction this year. The shift from defensive to offensive tennis, the failure to finish the job those suddenly successful attacks started, the attempts to go for too much, alternating with bouts of indecision and uncertainty - they were all telling. Plus, you know Murray - he's the tennis shrink who lays a guy down on the asphalt couch and asks him all the tough and uncomfortable questions about his game. He ought to charge his opponents by the hour. Too bad most guys probably don't have the stomach (or is it humility?)  to ask if he'd burn them a DVD to take home with them, so they could study it.""

"

The Asphalt Couch

," Posted 04/06/2009 www.peterbodosTENNISworld.com

That seems like a smart idea at first but the idea of a champion is asking for help and having to study his only play style seems very disheartening and could ruin his game even more due to the way he has dominated the ATP rank 2-4 for so long and suddenly all these new players are coming in and kicking his game down.

Uploaded on July 23, 2007 by

.kol tregaskes

When I see this picture of andy roddick playing I see that his focus is purely on the ball and that he is barely paying attention to his form but still his form has no problems in it and despite he’s not focusing on it his body remembers the form and does it  by memory and instantly, another thing I noticed is that his muscles are all solid and they are all in position to deliver a powerful forehand drive and I'm wondering is he has any pains in his body or if he has ever had the tennis elbow.

"Finally you can improve your match play by choosing to play a few people who are a little better than you are. Play these people until you can eventually beat them most of the time. Remember that if your opponent is a much better tennis player than yourself, set your goals accordingly. Instead of beating your opponent set your goal of keeping your opponent on court for 20 minutes longer, or taking a set of them. Reset your goal to taking two sets of your opponent, in the real world your opponent may be improving as quickly as you are, so get your mind set to battle it out and understand you will have to be playing them for quite a while."

Improving Your Match Play By Graham Shepperdson 

I find this very useful and true because I have been using this method for quite a while now watching the elderly pro's at the clay courts I used to go too and playing against some of them and some of the good players on the hard courts and each time whether I win or lose I analyze my style how I did in the match and what I need to improve to do better against them.

I like the points you

Submitted by MMomose on Mon, 2009-05-11 08:46.

I like the points you brought up about tennis because when you think about it, they are all fairly true. In concurrence to your quotes about improvement, I also want to add that having too much pride or confidence can ruin your game.

The quote that stood out to me the most is, "Finally you can improve your match play by choosing to play a few people who are a little better than you are. Play these people until you can eventually beat them most of the time. Remember that if your opponent is a much better tennis player than yourself, set your goals accordingly. Instead of beating your opponent set your goal of keeping your opponent on court for 20 minutes longer, or taking a set of them. Reset your goal to taking two sets of your opponent, in the real world your opponent may be improving as quickly as you are, so get your mind set to battle it out and understand you will have to be playing them for quite a while." I agree with this because if you play someone at the same level you are it is difficult to improve quickly, but if you are playing against someone better and more experienced, you can learn from them and learn faster to become better.