Thanksgiving

sum lake by type94 a Youth Voices pool photographer on flickr

As Thanksgiving quickly approaches, I wonder it’s true origin. We all know that some Pilgrims came here and supposedly had this big feast around the end of November to celebrate their arrival in America. But what part of the story aren’t we hearing?

Pilgrims left Plymouth, England in September of 1620, they braved a harsh two months at sea before arriving in Massachusetts in late November. In early December, they signed the Mayflower Compact, a document of civil government. The Pilgrims then began building shelters. But unprepared for a harsh winter, many of them died of disease and starvation.

With the help of the Indians living there, they were able to produce a copious amount of crops by that next summer. On December 13th of 1621, they began a three day celebration to thank God for the land they had found and the helpful friends they had made. Though the holiday wasn’t officially celebrated until 1789, thanks to a proclamation by George Washington, it has become an American favorite.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g007.html

Teaching me more about thanksgiving

Submitted by BECA13_Frank on Mon, 2011-11-21 20:37.

Dear Katie,

I loved your discussion on thanksgiving because you explained the truth behind Thanksgiving. I thought Thanksgiving was only about a big feast that the Pilgrims had and I didn't know it was more to it.

One sentence you wrote tat stands out for me is "On December 13th of 1621, they began a three day celebration to thank God for the land they had found and the helpful friends they had made." I think this is special because the pilgrims gave thanks to God for the land they had found.

Another sentence that I also liked was: "Thanks to a proclamation by George Washington, it has become an American favorite." This stood out for me because its one of my favorite holiday because I get to eat a lot of food.

[Source: Misconception

paulallison's picture
Submitted by paulallison on Mon, 2011-11-21 21:32.