Their eyes were watching God(chapter 5)

Submitted by maryamkhan on Mon, 2011-05-09 21:21

I am reading a book called "their eyes were watching God" by Zora Neale Hudson. I am on chapter 5. 

Janie is now married to Joe(her second husband) and so far they are happy but I don't think it will last long. they moved to a differernt town and starting thier life fresh. joe is working hard to make this town working city. The townpeople both respect and fear Joe. They respect him because he is working hard to make town into working city but they fear the power that he hold over them.

As his power rises Janie also became possession, similar to the businesses and people of the town. For example when Joe became the new mayor of the town, one of the townspeople, Tony, introduces Janie to make a speech Before she even has a chance to speak, Joe interrupts and started to explain (on page 61) "mah wife don't know nothin' 'bout no speech-makin' . . . She's uh woman and her place is in de home." I t was a very heart breaking moment for Janie not only he embarrassed her infront of everybody, he also fails to treat Janie as an equal. and Janie started to feel the same loneliness and isolated and once again for the second time, marriage for Janie is not what she had hoped.