Thier Eyes were Watching God

by: jlima

What makes women different from men? When i you think about this question, you might ask yourself, "Are you serious?" ..

Women are very different from men in all different aspects. They differ heavily on the physical because, well, i think you all know. But they can also differ from the way they think and handle things. Most of the guys when they go throw something they don't express thier emotions or really care, they either suck it up and move on. But women might show much more emotion than men and might even retaliate in some way. Men think very differently also. So basically, women are grow more attach to something and show more emotion to a certain situation than men.

In the book, Thier Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston on chapter 1, paragraph 1 and 2 she explains the difference between men and women. On paragraph 1 she says

"ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men."

I don't really understand this but what i take from it is that, men are lazy and they don't strive as hard as women. That men waste time on usless things than doing after thier dreams. i disagree with her totally because men are very hardworking and very striving. Me personally, i chase y dreams and i will not give up until i get there and reach happiness. The author is probably talking like that because she has no luck with men and has to bash on them in order to express her misery.

Very Funny

Submitted by CFlores on Tue, 2011-05-10 17:04.

Dear Juan,

Reading your post on Their Eyes Were Watching God made me laugh, a little. You bring one of the most unique perspectives on the book and the difference between a man and a woman. I believe that during that time, women did not have the opportunity to take the role that men did. For example, there were no women government officials. To this day, I think that remnants of "role-assignment" exist in society. Some people think that women should be at home and take care of the kids, while the man works and maintains the family. I completely, whole heartedly, disagree on this generalization. As a matter of fact, I think that this is old fashioned, outdated and useless. Truly speaking, how does it really sound to say: "Women should work and take care of kids because that's what they are supposed to do." People will look at the person stating this, with such shame. I also think that this is the reason why the LGBT community is no accepted in society. Outdated beliefs like this create problems for those that think women should take care of kids and family matters, but men must support the family through hard labor. 

One quote that you wrote is: "So basically, women are grow more attach to something and show more emotion to a certain situation than men." Not to belittle your post, but I don't think that generalizations help the matter. Thinking this way, discourages a certain group of women. Not all of them are attached to their emotions when it comes to situations such as the one that Zora Neal Hurston begins with. A better way of saying this is: "Some women are attached to emotions and some women are not attached to emotions." This satisfies both sides and allows room for compromise. 

Another quote that you wrote that stood out to me was: "The author is probably talking like that because she has no luck with men and has to bash on them in order to express her misery." I laughed when I read this last sentence. We can only imagine the endless reasons as to why Hurston wrote this small paragraph at the beginning of Chapter 1. However, I believe that Hurston wrote this to prepare a "modern" reader such as you and I to the setting as well as time period. Before, people did not allow room for compromise and generalized ideas that people thought, they must live by. This might just be a reason as to why you a bnothered by this quote or it makes you feel a certain way. This paragraph was just to prepare the reader and allow them to feel a bit comfortable with the time period. At the same time, the reader is "experiencing" Janie's dream with different men that had different hopes or dreams. 

Thanks for writing a funny post, I enjoyed reading and analyzing it. Hopefully, I will get to see more of these posts on Their Eyes Were Watching God.